Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Who would be at fault?

Options
  • 12-06-2021 3:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭

Had this happen four times since start of this year.

I am joining national road and people in next lane are braking sharply (almost a standstill causing traffic jam behind them) thinking I will instantly go for third lane [My guess].

Note: I usually do enter at high speeds but always match with traffic on 1st lane.

Me: red line

The person who causes traffic: Blue

tOlP8E3.jpg

Just wondering who would be at fault if blue gets rear ended? (even if I came in at slightly higher speed)

Could blue - in any way claim it as my fault? (if I merged lane at normal speed except accelerated slightly quicker on slip-road)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,462 ✭✭✭Charles Babbage

If blue gets rear ended, the car behind is at fault for driving too close.

However, your description suggests to me that you are driving too fast, making the traffic unsure of your intentions. There is a decent slip road here, the best plan to be fractionally below the speed of the traffic on the mainline and then accelerate to match it.

However, your description suggests to me that you are driving too fast, making the traffic unsure of your intentions.

My thoughts exactly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭J_R

arleitiss wrote: »
    Had this happen four times since start of this year.

I am joining national road and people in next lane are braking sharply (almost a standstill causing traffic jam behind them) thinking I will instantly go for third lane [My guess].

Note: I usually do enter at high speeds but always match with traffic on 1st lane.

Me: red line

The person who causes traffic: Blue

tOlP8E3.jpg

Just wondering who would be at fault if blue gets rear ended? (even if I came in at slightly higher speed)

Could blue - in any way claim it as my fault? (if I merged lane at normal speed except accelerated slightly quicker on slip-road)

Hi

I would examine your own driving. Obviously at least four times you have entered a lane so close to a car that the driver believed that they had to brake sharply to avoid a collision.

Why should they believe that you are going for the third lane, are they mind readers ? Normal drivers join and stay in the left lane only change lanes to overtake, then return to the left lane ?

Advertisement