Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'sticky back' weeds

Options
  • 11-06-2021 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭

These seem to have taken over my garden and in particular the hedge around the entire garden, is there something I can do to get rid of these easily?

Or is it just pulling them out by hand? I assume there is no spray I can use that will kill these without damaging the hedge.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,640 ✭✭✭wench

Just pulling them by hand.
    Make sure to follow them back to the source, otherwise the main stem will easily pull away, leaving the them primed to go again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭Mimon

Get the kids to start putting it on people's backs, great craic and they wont get a chance to come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Yes, just pull the whole thing out. It's not a persistent weed and can be cleared easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

that's a stones, the base isn't reachable, they are behind a chicken wire fence and underneath the based of the hedge. I might need to spray the base of them carefully.

Can you get at them with a hoe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

wench wrote: »
    Can you get at them with a hoe?

No, again they are all behind the chicken wire, the hedge has grown through that so removing the fence is a no go.

I really dont think this calls for spraying. They usually pull out fairly easily.

If there is any left behind trapped in the chicken wire, yeah it will probably grow again but you can just pull it again. They're not a very troublesome weed.

No, again they are all behind the chicken wire, the hedge has grown through that so removing the fence is a no go.
    I was thinking more reaching over or under, not removing it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

that's a stones, the base isn't reachable, they are behind a chicken wire fence and underneath the based of the hedge. I might need to spray the base of them carefully.

You can still just pull it out in clumps. Spraying won't do much.

Advertisement