Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bath tap leaking

Options
  • 11-06-2021 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭

Hi all just looking for some advise to service a leaking bath tap. I would, generally speaking, remove the handle and replace the cartridge by accessing the screw behind the cap, however in this specific case I can't seem to find it

555642.jpg

I tried to fully open the handle but nothing is visible inside, I also tried to lift it while turning to find a sweet spot but it won't budge.

Is this tap unserviceable and needs to be replaced?

555643.jpg

If that's the case would you reckon I have standard 3/4 pipe attachments and standard spacing between the taps?
    Thanks

555644.jpg
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Steveop

Just replace the taps I’d say

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Steveop

Easy enough to do

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

After applying some pressure with a screwdriver just below the lever, it popped out. However couldn't find a supplier of cartridge around the area and ended up replacing the whole unit. Now I have another issue, not sure if it is standard, but you see from the last picture they had sealed the connector with some sort of mastic/putty: after spitting blood to remove the nuts holding the old tap I decided not to use any sealant a part from the standard teflon tape. Unfortunately it's leaking where it joints the pipe connector to the new unit, tightening the bolt even further, was making it worst. What could be the cause of this ? I have temporary loaded the thread with silicone, however it's not ideal and I would like a neat job. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭wiz569

Thread tape should do the job if applied correctly, it's very easy to go on wrong when doing it in confined spaces, what I sometimes do is use 3/4" fibre washers sitting inside the fitting as well if I have some handy.

You could also cut the PEX back further and install flexi-connectors with penny valves incorporated.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭darconio

wiz569 wrote: »
    Thread tape should do the job if applied correctly, it's very easy to go on wrong when doing it in confined spaces, what I sometimes do is use 3/4" fibre washers sitting inside the fitting as well if I have some handy.

You could also cut the PEX back further and install flexi-connectors with penny valves incorporated.

You, sir, are a true gentleman! It's unbelievable how a small washer would make such a difference, not a single drop since I fitted one :p
    Thanks again for the advise

555763.jpg

555764.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement