Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Great Ballinlough Arborcide of 2021

Options
  • 11-06-2021 5:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭

On the right, two beautiful mature trees in the park behind my house as they were at 2:10pm this afternoon. On the left, the same scene three hours later after a visit by a crew contracted to the City Council.

Does anyone have know what the f*** Cork City Council has against trees?

555630.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Ash trees?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,872 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I was expecting something like amazonian rainforest destruction scale.

Two trees.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Chainsaws been going around Ballinlough for weeks, loads of mature trees desecrated.

No idea why they went for those, it's a disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Again, are they ash trees?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Quite clearly one of them isn't.

I'd say the rest of the tall one will come down yet, probably ran out of time today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭cantalach

I was expecting something like amazonian rainforest destruction scale.

Two trees.

I can post photos of all of them if you like but it might take a while.

I've seen four different varieties of trees affected, a mix of evergreen and deciduous.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,813 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Might this not be considered maintenance? Risk management?
    I'm no tree expert.

Imagine the outrage if a poorly maintained tree on public land killed someone or destroyed a home!

Perhaps someone who does know about tree management might comment?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,872 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

cantalach wrote: »
    I can post photos of all of them if you like but it might take a while.

I've seen a lot more felled trees on the so called blackrock "green" way.

Sorry, not following your point. Does the fact that there are more felled trees on the greenway mean that we can't bemoan the felling of trees elsewhere?

• Advertisement

Sorry, not following your point. Does the fact that there are more felled trees on the greenway mean that we can't bemoan the felling of trees elsewhere?

Felled?
    Your pic doesn't show felled trees.

Felled?
    Your pic doesn't show felled trees.

Yeah, sorry, the Whiskey guy said felled. I meant to say butchered. My bad. Thanks.

Might this not be considered maintenance? Risk management?
    I'm no tree expert.

Imagine the outrage if a poorly maintained tree on public land killed someone or destroyed a home!

Perhaps someone who does know about tree management might comment?

I guess that is the most likely explanation. But the fact that they're butchering small evergreens (as in the picture) suggests otherwise.

I guess that is the most likely explanation. But the fact that they're butchering small evergreens (as in the picture) suggests otherwise.

Honestly, I wouldn't know.
    But I do know that trees require pruning and management. Sometimes trees need to be felled for safety reasons or for the benefit of other trees. No one likes to see trees felled but there is often a valid reason.

Likewise people don't like to see trees heavily pruned.

Perhaps these trees have been needlessly butchered or perhaps it was necessary maintenance. I'm not qualified to say.
    Are you? Genuine question, I'm not having a go.

I can't help feeling that the authorities are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

From your pic it looks like those two trees were far too close to each other. One of them probably had to go.

Honestly, I wouldn't know.
    But I do know that trees require pruning and management. Sometimes trees need to be felled for safety reasons or for the benefit of other trees. No one likes to see trees felled but there is often a valid reason.

Likewise people don't like to see trees heavily pruned.

Perhaps these trees have been needlessly butchered or perhaps it was necessary maintenance. I'm not qualified to say.
    Are you? Genuine question, I'm not having a go.

I can't help feeling that the authorities are damned if they do and damned if they don't.

From your pic it looks like those two trees were far too close to each other. One of them probably had to go.

I'll mail one of the councillors and try to figure out what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

I'll mail one of the councillors and try to figure out what happened.

Which park in ballinlough is it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,134 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Very true.....a green way thet cuts down all teh trees. Gotta love the irony:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭notAMember

Very true.....a green way thet cuts down all teh trees. Gotta love the irony:rolleyes:

All the trees?

The trees they took down were ones that were on the route of the new wider path. Those trees had naturally reseeded themselves, they were where the new path is now. That path has more than doubled in width, to allow more people to use it.

Of course it's a shame they had to do it, but the tree removal wasn't indiscriminate. I use that greenway a good bit and saw the landscapers spent a lot of time in advance identifying the specific trees to come out. They chose trees that were either in the path route or diseased / damaged.

Then they were removed.

There was another exercise later to clear back all the undergrowth (mostly brambles) that was also in the area of the new path with tractors and long-arm ditch cutting machines. That was a more indiscriminate, and I wasn't impressed at how it was done in bird fledgling season tbh.

They have started putting in bat boxes, bee hotels and bird boxes, which imho, are tokenism. There was a good bat, bird and bee population there, wildlife doesn't need human-made boxes if there is a natural habitat available.

What park is that in Ballinlough?

Advertisement