Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books for Beginners?

Options
  • 11-06-2021 5:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭

I'm interested in learning about beekeeping and being a tad old fashioned I like to buy physical books when I'm learning about something

So which books do people recommend?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭victor8600

mneylon wrote: »
    So which books do people recommend?

Haynes Bee Manual
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bee-Manual-Complete-Step-Step/dp/0857338099

Please select and read one book before you actually start keeping bees. I recommend doing a course and joining your local beekeeping association as soon as possible too.

At a risk of stating the obvious, bees are living creatures. Each colony has its own distinct character. If you are planning to have a few hives, the individual characteristics of each colony will matter. If you plan to have 30+ hives, you will probably care less about each colony, and more about managing the overall health / yield of the apiary. Reading a book is great, but some things written in the book will only make sense when you actually try to achieve anything with bees. Reading two books will only confuse you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I managed to get a beekeeper to put some hives in my garden.
    I'm doing a course and have practicals with him when he comes over.
    Opened a hive today on my own for the first time.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

victor8600 wrote: »
    Haynes Bee Manual
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Bee-Manual-Complete-Step-Step/dp/0857338099

Please select and read one book before you actually start keeping bees. I recommend doing a course and joining your local beekeeping association as soon as possible too.
    That's what I was thinking as well.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

The Haynes book is excellent - we use it for our beginners course every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Rougebladez

"Keeping Bees with a smile" is good too but it refers to Horizontal hives.

• Advertisement
Advertisement