Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maris Piper potatoes

Options
  • 11-06-2021 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭

Lads, is it to early to harvest Maris Piper potatoes that were grown in a bucket in a glass house?

I made a bit of a mistake with the potatoes thinking they were earlies and left them in the glasshouse. They were planted the first week of March and flowered 3/4 weeks ago. The flowers are gone and the stalks started to fall over about 2 weeks ago. I emptied one bucket a few minutes ago before realising that Maris Piper are a main crop and shouldn't be ready for another month or so? Now I don't whether we can eat them or not! Advice appreciated! Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭Richard308

Think if they’ve flowered and stalks died off they’re ready. Definitely safe to eat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭2011abc

Have a little test dig to see if any there and if you dont find soon leave well alone for at least another few weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭scarepanda

This is what I got. They are smallish, maybe on average about 1 inch in size.

I'm just afraid in case you can't eat immature spuds (I've never grown spuds before as you may have guessed :D!)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

as long as they're not green, should be fine to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

scarepanda wrote: »
    I'm just afraid in case you can't eat immature spuds (I've never grown spuds before as you may have guessed :D!)

There's not really any such thing as an "immature" spud - only one that isn't as big as the others. But they're all edible.

Use the tiniest ones whole (and washed) in a potato salad, or put them into soup. There's no need to peel them or waste them.

As you're ahead of yourself, if you have any sprouting spuds in the house, plant them straight away and you'll have a second crop in a few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,451 ✭✭✭scarepanda

Thanks everyone!

I might just do that CelticRambler! Is it too late to sow outside? I need the Space in the glass house now for my tomatoes and chillis :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

scarepanda wrote: »
    Is it too late to sow outside? I need the Space in the glass house now for my tomatoes and chillis :D

Nope. Right up to the end of June should be fine. That still gives you three full months of "summer" growing time. Watch out for blight, though, if August/September ends up being mild and miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭2011abc

They look grand

Advertisement