Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tick, tick... Boom! - Netflix - Directed by Lin-Manuel Miranda

Options
  • 11-06-2021 3:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,290 ✭✭✭✭

Love a good musical and after watching In the Heights today I came across this.

An all star cast for Lin-Manuel Miranda feature film directorial debut

Oscar bate from Netflix as it will be getting a limited cinema release as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭voldejoie

Very excited for this, especially in the capable hands of LMM! Glad it will be on Netflix but also looking forward to seeing it in the cinema.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,026 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is it about the creator of Rent?

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭voldejoie

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Is it about the creator of Rent?

It is indeed! It's an autobiographical piece about him and his creative process and finding his path/deciding to continue to pursue a career in musical theatre.

One of the themes of it is ageing/dying (the tick tick reference is to a ticking sound of time winding down as has an existential crisis as he approaches 30...), which is especially powerful considering Jonathan Larson died suddenly at the age of 35.

I never knew Andrew Garfield sang, it looks good very Oscar bait worth as OP said

LMM can do no wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 60,290 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

This is out now have it lined up now for tomorrow a good Sunday musical.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Rfrip

I really enjoyed this!

Great reviews for Garfield

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭Rfrip

very deserved

• Registered Users Posts: 13,383 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I really enjoyed this. Garfield was excellent and Vanessa Hudgens surprised me with how pared back her performance was, I was expecting her to try and eat every scene.

I particularly loved spotting all the cameos, and not just in the Sunday diner scene. Judy Kuhn as his mother, anyone?

Post edited by Dial Hard on

Finally got around to watching it tonight what a great job Garfield did.

After finishing it I turned on the news to see that Stephen Sondheim had died. RIP.

• Advertisement

Garfield won the best actor Golden Globe for this and well deserved it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭DoctorEdgeWild

Was delighted to hear this. Best performance of his career in my opinion, and a truly brilliant film. I'll admit a bias as I'm a RENT obsessive, but what a fitting way to tell the story of someone who died tragically young, through the medium he was obsessed with.

Anything Miranda touches turns to gold at the moment! (I was at Hamilton yesterday, amazed every time).

Anyone reading this who is on the fence, give this film a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,756 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

2021/2022 is Andrew Garfield's year and I'm all here for it. The Oscar will probably come down between Will Smith and Cumberbatch, but Garfield is having a cracker of a time at the moment.

Advertisement