Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning Needed?

Options
  • 09-06-2021 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can help on a query I have. I've been onto thr Council to see if planning is needed for a bit of work I am thinking of doing with the side entrance of my Semi D. They've been no help and said I have to pay them 80 euro to apply for a declaration of planning to see if planning is needed (don't know why they could just say yes or no??)

We are looking at building a regulation high wall between myself and the neighbour (spoke to the neighbour and they are fine with that). When this is done we plan to construct a leantoo roof to enclose our side entrance with a door front and back for added security. We intend to move our washing machine and gas boiler into this space, plus used for storage of bikes and what not.

Ive read on the council site that anything under 25sq mtrs at the side of the house is exempt from planning as long as its not lived in or used to house livestock and does not come past the front of the house (which it will not, the door will be approx 10ft in from the front.

Just wondering if carrying out this work will be exempt as I am reading it.

Thank ðŸ‘

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,559 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

matjay wrote: »
    Hi,

Just wondering if anyone can help on a query I have. I've been onto thr Council to see if planning is needed for a bit of work I am thinking of doing with the side entrance of my Semi D. They've been no help and said I have to pay them 80 euro to apply for a declaration of planning to see if planning is needed (don't know why they could just say yes or no??)

We are looking at building a regulation high wall between myself and the neighbour (spoke to the neighbour and they are fine with that). When this is done we plan to construct a leantoo roof to enclose our side entrance with a door front and back for added security. We intend to move our washing machine and gas boiler into this space, plus used for storage of bikes and what not.

Ive read on the council site that anything under 25sq mtrs at the side of the house is exempt from planning as long as its not lived in or used to house livestock and does not come past the front of the house (which it will not, the door will be approx 10ft in from the front.

Just wondering if carrying out this work will be exempt as I am reading it.

Thank ðŸ‘

The Council are right in not answering your question over the phone with. O drawings and no context.

That’s what section 5 applications are for. And they cost more than €80, that’s just the application fee. You also need an OSi map and if you can include a drawing it will be answered more accurately.

But anyway, that answers your gripe with the council who are correct in what they told you.

Now, to build at the side, it can be classed as a shed/store etc
    3m max height with flat roof or 4m with pitched roof.
    Finished have to match the main house.

Moving the washing machine etc is not an issue. I actually have the same build to my side but I have my power washer and car cleaning supplies all plumbed in.

Moving the gas boiler may be a bigger issue as this needs to be on an external wall and the flue passes through that. You can’t put it on the shared wall as this will now be a party wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭matjay

Gumbo wrote: »
    The Council are right in not answering your question over the phone with. O drawings and no context.

That’s what section 5 applications are for. And they cost more than €80, that’s just the application fee. You also need an OSi map and if you can include a drawing it will be answered more accurately.

But anyway, that answers your gripe with the council who are correct in what they told you.

Now, to build at the side, it can be classed as a shed/store etc
    3m max height with flat roof or 4m with pitched roof.
    Finished have to match the main house.

Moving the washing machine etc is not an issue. I actually have the same build to my side but I have my power washer and car cleaning supplies all plumbed in.

Moving the gas boiler may be a bigger issue as this needs to be on an external wall and the flue passes through that. You can’t put it on the shared wall as this will now be a party wall.

Cheers mate,

Seeing its such a small job I didn't want to have to go the council route, just thought they'd give me a yay or nay. From what I have read though it doesn't seem to require planning as it falls well below regs described.

Plan was to have the boiler on the rear end of the build. There will be a door most likely PVC but a solid wall to the left of it to take the weight of the boiler.

Our other option was to move the boiler into the atttic (which is converted) but I feel that would be a very big job.

Thanks again,

J

Cheers mate,

Seeing its such a small job I didn't want to have to go the council route, just thought they'd give me a yay or nay. From what I have read though it doesn't seem to require planning as it falls well below regs described.

Plan was to have the boiler on the rear end of the build. There will be a door most likely PVC but a solid wall to the left of it to take the weight of the boiler.

Our other option was to move the boiler into the atttic (which is converted) but I feel that would be a very big job.

Thanks again,

J

If you have the width then your plan will work with regards to the boiler. Also remember your boiler will now be outside the thermal envelope so additional measures may be required for the pipe work etc

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Girl Geraldine

If council planning departments were doling out free advice on the phone they would have every tom dick and harry ringing in with unclear half baked planning trivia questions to the point they would get nothing else done. God knows, they are slow enough as it is without that.

That is why they charge money - it focuses the mind of the person who as to hand it over.

If you have the width then your plan will work with regards to the boiler. Also remember your boiler will now be outside the thermal envelope so additional measures may be required for the pipe work etc

Thanks again Gumbo,

I've a couple of builders coming down to go through some ideas of what we can do with the area we have to work with.

Advice appreciated,
    ðŸ‘

• Advertisement

Thanks again Gumbo,

I've a couple of builders coming down to go through some ideas of what we can do with the area we have to work with.

Advice appreciated,
    ðŸ‘

Don’t let them talk you into a cheap timber finish. To enjoy the exemption, the finish must match that if the house.

Don’t let them talk you into a cheap timber finish. To enjoy the exemption, the finish must match that if the house.

Cheers Gumbo,

I'm wanting a block build all in, with a exterior finish front and back matching the side which is dashed with like a white quartz.

Had one guy wanting 30k for the work to be carried out and he mentioned a timber build would be more cost effective, said I'd let him know, he won't be hearing back from me.

Advertisement