Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to prune

Options
  • 09-06-2021 10:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 26,967 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Have this (Olive Tree, I think) at side of the house, it's done extremely well but beginning to look like a badly managed Afro :)

Can it be pruned and when? I find the only draw back with these trees, is it has a relatively short full leaf bloom/Foliage season and gets a little untidy looking when leaves start to discolour / shed, not sure if thats a disease as such or just the nature of this tree. Advice on pruning would be appreciated, I don't want to damage it. Picture to follow, not sure why one can't be added at start of thread.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,967 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Here goes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

Wrong tree wrong place? But hard to say that when its growing so well, although probably growing too well.

I'd leave it this year because its covered in flowers who know you might get something from them?

Otherwise its shortening back branches and removing some of the overcrowding. Not a quick or easy job.

Google tells me that spring or early summer is the time to prune so you can assess the crop and prune accordingly but I suspect you might want to prune back beyond the fruit.

Wake me up when it's all over.

Wrong tree wrong place? But hard to say that when its growing so well, although probably growing too well.

I'd leave it this year because its covered in flowers who know you might get something from them?

Otherwise its shortening back branches and removing some of the overcrowding. Not a quick or easy job.

Google tells me that spring or early summer is the time to prune so you can assess the crop and prune accordingly but I suspect you might want to prune back beyond the fruit.

Thanks, why do you say wrong Tree, place? I've actually had it in various areas of garden and it's thrived here, almost too much, is it not a type of Olive?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭lrushe

Olives don't need to much pruning, a bit of a shape in Spring and then you can take out any dead or crossing/rubbing branches now to open out the crown and let light in to help ripen any fruit you might get.

lrushe wrote: »
    Olives don't need to much pruning, a bit of a shape in Spring and then you can take out any dead or crossing/rubbing branches now to open out the crown and let light in to help ripen any fruit you might get.

Thank you :)

• Advertisement

I'm just saying its growing far better than most people might expect.

I don't see any problem pruning it but to do a good job will take a lot of time and care.

If there is a lot of growth back along most branches I'd consider pruning every branch back the the last leaf. Then thin out whats left.

The problem being that you might then stimulate a lot of new growth which will then need thining out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,866 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

has anyone managed to grow olives here? I know my wife's folks have a tree in their garden, fairly sheltered spot on the eastern side of the country, never get any fruit.

loyatemu wrote: »
    has anyone managed to grow olives here? I know my wife's folks have a tree in their garden, fairly sheltered spot on the eastern side of the country, never get any fruit.

We've had a couple of fruit on a very scrappy shrubby tree that has a hard life, but I wouldn't take that to mean we grow olives here :D

I'm just saying its growing far better than most people might expect.

I don't see any problem pruning it but to do a good job will take a lot of time and care.

If there is a lot of growth back along most branches I'd consider pruning every branch back the the last leaf. Then thin out whats left.

The problem being that you might then stimulate a lot of new growth which will then need thining out.

Ah, I understand, yes I was nervous about putt it there initially but it really has done well, that side of house get great sunshine from lunch time onwards. I choose here partly has it makes a nice feature in full bloom and the Trunk won't grow to wide and unmanageable.

An additional, un intended use is Christmas, I put fairy lights on it and it looks brilliant :) albeit a chore taking them down :)

loyatemu wrote: »

There are fruitless varieties, they tend to be faster growing as they don't use up energy making fruit.

• Advertisement

There are fruitless varieties, they tend to be faster growing as they don't use up energy making fruit.

I think mine is fruitless, I've never seen olives as such, love the tree but Olives I could never take too :)

Dempo1 wrote: »
    I think mine is fruitless, I've never seen olives as such, love the tree but Olives I could never take too :)

What am I seeing at the near the tips of a lot of the branches.

What am I seeing at the near the tips of a lot of the branches.

Hang on, I'll take a closer pic

Close up

Thanks some of those buds looked bigger further up the tree.

Thanks some of those buds looked bigger further up the tree.

You got me thinking have I an olive farm on my hands :) thanks

Dempo1 wrote: »
    You got me thinking have I an olive farm on my hands :) thanks

Has the tree ever flowered?
    You need flowers to get fruit, Olives can self pollinate so you only need one tree.

You need flowers to get fruit, Olives can self pollinate so you only need one tree.

Hi, it's never flowered as such, just leaves. The only dissapointing aspect of this tree is the season for leaf foliage quite short but actually looks very sculptural (if that's the right discription) during autumn and winter

I've actually a few I've grown from cuttings and doing well in pots, attached an example , planning to plant into ground later in the year

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭standardg60

If your intention is just to have a nice mop headed shape now is the perfect time to give it a really good trimming, as any chance of frost has passed. Just make sure to leave some leaf. I wouldn't worry about thinning it at all.

In the future, once you have a desired tight shape, just after flowering (if it does) is the right time to trim.

• Advertisement

If your intention is just to have a nice mop headed shape now is the perfect time to give it a really good trimming, as any chance of frost has passed. Just make sure to leave some leaf. I wouldn't worry about thinning it at all.

In the future, once you have a desired tight shape, just after flowering (if it does) is the right time to trim.

That's exactly what I'm hoping to achieve and thank you :)

Advertisement