Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Odd credit card issue

Options
  • 09-06-2021 9:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭

A month ago my credit card had 10 fraudulent transactions on it in one evening. Most were for online transactions but one was for a chipper that had click and collect in the next village. A place I've never been to.

I thought it was odd and spoke to the owner of the chipper and he provided me with loads of evidence to pass on to the Gardai and credit card company which pinpointed the scammer.

Fast forward a month, no word from the disinterested Gardai. The credit card company refunded my money and I got a new card with a new number. That was until last night when another fraudulent transaction in another chipper, different local town. This new credit card was never used in a local shop. I only used it once in a reputable store I know and it never left my sight. On top of that , the 5 other transactions were online , for AerLingus , PSN etc.

I've been wracking my brains trying to figure out why or how this is happening ? The credit card company aren't much help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭blackbox

Did you save card details to phone or computer?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

D3V!L wrote: »
    A month ago my credit card had 10 fraudulent transactions on it in one evening. Most were for online transactions but one was for a chipper that had click and collect in the next village. A place I've never been to.

I thought it was odd and spoke to the owner of the chipper and he provided me with loads of evidence to pass on to the Gardai and credit card company which pinpointed the scammer.

Fast forward a month, no word from the disinterested Gardai. The credit card company refunded my money and I got a new card with a new number. That was until last night when another fraudulent transaction in another chipper, different local town. This new credit card was never used in a local shop. I only used it once in a reputable store I know and it never left my sight. On top of that , the 5 other transactions were online , for AerLingus , PSN etc.

I've been wracking my brains trying to figure out why or how this is happening ? The credit card company aren't much help.
    Looks like it’s the online transactions. Where they mobile or on a PC. Malware on your pc. Probably a key logger.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,440 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Have you kids?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,935 ✭✭✭D3V!L

blackbox wrote: »
    Did you save card details to phone or computer?

I removed all card payments from Google and any other site I use and then changed to a Revolut card for everything online.
    ted1 wrote: »
    Have you kids?

No kids.
    Looks like it’s the online transactions. Where they mobile or on a PC. Malware on your pc. Probably a key logger.

Just ran Malwarebytes on my PC and phone. Nothing popped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭gary550

Ever use your card on a work computer?

• Advertisement

gary550 wrote: »
    Ever use your card on a work computer?

No.

Some background info. I'm an IT manager, work in finance and fairly good with computer security.

No.

Some background info. I'm an IT manager, work in finance and fairly good with computer security.

Right so, It's probably not your computer

If it was me I'd be looking for points at which someone could have gotten access to your physical card. The locality of the purchases suggests it's obviously someone local and they obviously aren't good at what they do because they made purchases that fairly easily identify them.

From experience the guards are about as useful as a motorbike ashtray for things like this

gary550 wrote: »
    Right so, It's probably not your computer

If it was me I'd be looking for points at which someone could have gotten access to your physical card. The locality of the purchases suggests it's obviously someone local and they obviously aren't good at what they do because they made purchases that fairly easily identify them.

From experience, the guards are about as useful as a motorbike ashtray for things like this

That's the thing, the new card wasn't used locally. 5 transactions on it and only one was a physical shop on the other side of Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Could be a postman issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

May not be the same kind of situation, but I once had to cancel a card and get a new one (new number etc). The old one was still linked to the new card, as I found out when an unexpected (not a scam) payment came out. I was told that the "cancelled" cards are still linked to your account in case you've forgotten to change a DD or something. That was a long time ago, so I'd hope things are more secure now, but is it possible the transaction in the new chipper was still the old card number? Surely the bank could/would check that though.

• Advertisement

Thoie wrote: »
    May not be the same kind of situation, but I once had to cancel a card and get a new one (new number etc). The old one was still linked to the new card, as I found out when an unexpected (not a scam) payment came out. I was told that the "cancelled" cards are still linked to your account in case you've forgotten to change a DD or something. That was a long time ago, so I'd hope things are more secure now, but is it possible the transaction in the new chipper was still the old card number? Surely the bank could/would check that though.

That's exactly what I'm thinking. There is no other explanation for it.

Would the financial regulator be of any help?

That's exactly what I'm thinking. There is no other explanation for it.

Would the financial regulator be of any help?

Can you ask the take away the second time around what the last 4 digits of the card used was and that might help you figure out if the card is still linked as the poster above explained?

From looking at my own payment processor backend you can see the last 4 card digits on payments so I'd assume if the order was placed either through the takeaways site, by phone or on something like justeat that info should be easily available to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,332 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

It's strange that the card can be used for online transactions as since PSD2 being implemented, authentication is required such as an OTP being sent to your phone. In your shoes, I'd be asking the bank why your card isn't protected this way and how could these transactions be made with the new card. As another poster mentioned, it's as if they're tied to your account.

I once had a card skimmed and started to notice fraudulent transactions when I began to get lots of OTP requests. Most failed because of that but lots of Netflix subscriptions worked. I had no problem dealing with my bank to sort it out immediately and get the money back and no further issues.

I also think you should go back to the Gardai and make a point about their inaction causing the fraud to continue when you have provided evidence. (I'm guessing the chipper had CCTV of whoever was collecting the food based on your card?). You should let them know you're going to make a complaint to GSOC and ask the details of the Garda investigating your case for that. It might give them a kick up the ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭jahalpin

As the credit card company have refunded the money then it is not really your problem any more as you have not suffered any financial loss as a result of the scam, it is really up to the credit card company to chase up if they choose as they are the injured party in this case

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

jahalpin wrote: »
    As the credit card company have refunded the money then it is not really your problem any more as you have not suffered any financial loss as a result of the scam, it is really up to the credit card company to chase up if they choose as they are the injured party in this case

Its still a hassle and I for one would not be comfortable using a credit card account that had been compromised, small fraudulent transactions are often only a warmup for much bigger ones.

Concrete suggestion, assuming it's a credit card from one of the major banks, ring card services, you are likely to get through to a human who actually cares. Although you say you've done this?

athlone573 wrote: »

Concrete suggestion, assuming it's a credit card from one of the major banks, ring card services, you are likely to get through to a human who actually cares. Although you say you've done this?

I spoke to the credit card company again this morning. What I took away from the conversation is that there should be nothing to worry about and it's pure coincidence that I had fraudulent transactions on two cards in the local area :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I spoke to the credit card company again this morning. What I took away from the conversation is that there should be nothing to worry about and it's pure coincidence that I had fraudulent transactions on two cards in the local area :rolleyes:

Well that's OK then! As long as you're not on the hook for it, I suppose all you can do is forget about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,064 ✭✭✭Sarn

Not an ideal response from the card company. While we all should keep an eye on transactions on our cards, knowing that there has already been fraudulent transactions will mean you will be even more paranoid.

Hopefully, as mentioned above, it’s only a case of the bank not severing the link between the old and new card.

Sarn wrote: »

Hopefully, as mentioned above, it’s only a case of the bank not severing the link between the old and new card.

According to them, there was no link. I don't believe that for a moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

So they've cancelled the second card too?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Have you got confirmation of this in a written form?

Advertisement