Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Yoga - Have You Tried?

Options
  • 08-06-2021 10:15pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Have any of you taken part in a yoga class?

I’ve been going to yoga sessions for about two and half years, and I’m finding the benefits to be really rewarding. I feel so relaxed and de-stressed after a class, with stretching, deep breathing and meditation to top it off. It has also really improved my anxiety which has been a bugbear of mine for as long as I can remember.

I know yoga probably isn’t for everyone and I don’t want to come across as a preacher for yoga, but have you tried yoga yourself and did you enjoy it? Do you still do it? If not, why did you give up?

Have you tried yoga and meditation? 67 votes

Yes, enjoyed it
    76% 51 votes
    No, but would like to
    16% 11 votes
    Yes, but not for me
    4% 3 votes
    No, don’t think I would like it
    2% 2 votes

Comments

Yep I've done a few classes over the years and currently use the AsanaRebel app.

Meditation isn't for me though. I always get antsy during the final shavasana. It's supposed to be relaxing but I just lie there breaking down how much of the class fee I've essentially spent on a lie down.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,611 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Did a series of yoga classes once, years ago. Enjoyed it.

Still do the Surya Namaskar, but these days with YouTube to remind me!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,878 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

A friend of mine was doing Zoom Yoga classes during lockdown so I went a good few times. An hour long class feels like an age though I preferred the half hour ones, but the stretches feel so good for you, I had muscle ache like I'd been lifting heavy weights after the first few times. Definitely think it would be good for most people and worth trying.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,841 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I’ve never gone to a yoga class but one of my instructors at the gym is a yoga teacher and incorporates some yoga exercises into the class, generally just before or as part of the cool down...

I like it and he’s been a fierce advocate of showing us and having us looking up yoga exercises ... he says it’s good in particular for alleviating pain as relates to arthritis and even stopping people getting arthritis...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

No, I haven't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

I had been doing yoga for well over a year before lockdown, absolutely love it. It is a 75 minute class with warm up , stretches, sometimes some chanting and a wind down at the end. In the morning classes I have been so relaxed I’ve fallen asleep at the end. I’ve had back problems for years and the stretching poses are so good for it. I’m not really into the chanting side of it. The classes have been on Zoom, I tried a few but nothing beats getting out of the house and doing it with a group. I’m looking forward to that happening again soon hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

The only yoga class I was dragged to was one of those hot yoga classes. It's almost like being in a steam room. You feel great after but it was energy sapping during it with the heat and humidity. Wasn't mad on it and didn't go back.

I tried it and enjoyed it. Only gave it up because I preferred some other styles of movement. The heavy and fast movement of Capoeira balanced by the slower and more controlled movements of Tai Chi work better for me.

I do Vipassana meditation myself. So that already focused on mental and physical stillness of a sort. So I guess I did not need the kind of pauses and stillness of Yoga. Tai Chi in contrast is constant movement and evolution of the postures. Often slow but with optional bursts of speed and intensity.

So I found that balanced the meditation well.

Being a kind of Dance I also find Tai Chi something more enjoyable to share with a partner than something like Yoga which even in groups is still more an individual activity. In fact it can even be a lovely erotic foreplay with a romantic partner. A form of close non-touching dance where you are showing off your body and it's movements to arouse the other - but mirroring each others movements too in a way that makes you feel very synced up with them. A semi decent example of that here. But imagine it more intense and intimate and over a longer period than just 2 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I need to get back into it I think.
    I picked it up over the lockdowns using Yoga with Adrienne on YouTube, last year she had a 30 day series called Home and it was perfectly set for beginners I felt. Didn't spend too long on the "meditation" stuff.

I need to pick up some classes now to ensure I'm doing it correctly as I restart it.

Is Pilates just Yoga without all the "flow" stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 457 ✭✭Goodigal

Started yoga about 7 years ago and it's been amazing for my mind and body. It's not for everyone so I try not to preach to my friends to do it! I think it takes a certain type of person to embrace it and I must admit, I didn't think that person was me when I started!!

It got me thru a crappy marriage break up and I have done online classes at home since March 2020. A life saver - because on the mat you have to concentrate on your breath and movement. Can't think of anything else for that time. Even if the children are killing each other for the remote in the next room... Shivasana is just bliss at the end of a tough class.

Absolutely love it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

I'm a guy 39, Started yoga in 2020 March, due to a marriage breakup and I got a bit of a belly.
    Honestly I think its kept me sane, and help me get my mind clear.
    Yoga is getting to the stage its as important to me as eating and drinking. :eek:
    Its just the best mat time is my time where I can recharge and gain perspective.

Yoga helps more then even therapy its that good. :cool:

I can hold crow for about 30 seconds which I'm pretty chuffed with. :D

Ultrflat wrote: »
    I'm a guy 39, Started yoga in 2020 March, due to a marriage breakup and I got a bit of a belly.
    Honestly I think its kept me sane, and help me get my mind clear.
    Yoga is getting to the stage its as important to me as eating and drinking. :eek:
    Its just the best mat time is my time where I can recharge and gain perspective.

Yoga helps more then even therapy its that good. :cool:

I can hold crow for about 30 seconds which I'm pretty chuffed with. :D

Check you out with the crow!! Fair play to you!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I've been meaning to try it for years now.

xzanti wrote: »
    I've been meaning to try it for years now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWBfQjuwp4E&ab_channel=YogaWithAdriene

You can't go far wrong with this as a starter.

30 days can seem daunting but some of them are short enough so it's not too much of an imposing ask on your day.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

razorblunt wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWBfQjuwp4E&ab_channel=YogaWithAdriene

You can't go far wrong with this as a starter.

30 days can seem daunting but some of them are short enough so it's not too much of an imposing ask on your day.

Thanks for that :) will give it a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I thought everyone knew that doing yoga was a way of summoning demons, or do they? :confused:;)

I know somebody who says he believes that. And loads of very sane Christian fundamentalists on the internet agree too. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Have tried it and headspace. Did a couple of the home yoga with Adrienne on YouTube. I can't relax at all. Get very easily distracted by my thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,427 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Before covid I did regular Pilates classes. Great for flexibility and core strength without all the "woo" of Yoga.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭john123470

Good idea is to start by learning the Sun Salute (surya Namaskar). It can be learned via Yoga book or on youtube.

It is one movement incorporating 12 poses - a terrific whole body stretch. I generally hold each pose for a while before moving onto the next (to build strength) but it can also be done in 1 graceful move

If you find the Sun Salute beneficial, you will be more motivated to move onto other poses

Goodigal wrote: »
    Check you out with the crow!! Fair play to you!

I know, its not the easy, but kinda is.

My Goal this year is to do a Scorpion pose bye next year, as that's a nice challenge with lots of different challenges to incorporate. :D head stands epic back bends. At the moment I'm on hip openers which has been so good kinda helped me get my groove back. :)

• Advertisement

Have tried it and headspace. Did a couple of the home yoga with Adrienne on YouTube. I can't relax at all. Get very easily distracted by my thoughts.

I don't let that aspect bother me, I just use the breathing as a way of concentrating without getting "into my head". I see the movements as just stretches. Probably why I'm leaning more towards pilates now.

I know, its not the easy, but kinda is.

My Goal this year is to do a Scorpion pose bye next year, as that's a nice challenge with lots of different challenges to incorporate. :D head stands epic back bends. At the moment I'm on hip openers which has been so good kinda helped me get my groove back. :)

Honestly it works wonders for mind and body! Keep going!! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ablelocks

Alun wrote: »
    Before covid I did regular Pilates classes. Great for flexibility and core strength without all the "woo" of Yoga.

ditto - but only got 8 classes in before stoopid lockdown

hadn't been doing it long enough to be confident to do it by myself at home...

can't wait to get back to it but instructor doesn't seem to be in any rush to get back to the studio.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

no i've never tried it,

but there's lots of "fit" women round my way giving classes..so i'll think i'll give it a go;)

fryup wrote: »
    no i've never tried it,

but there's lots of "fit" women round my way giving classes..so i'll think i'll give it a go;)

Years time after starting yoga he changes his name to VEG up :D:pac:

Years time after starting yoga he changes his name to VEG up :D:pac:

LOL. Hell no. I find the more exercise I do in life the more I want fried things especially eggs and meat.

There was a day there last week or so where my family went to down to cork and I was alone and there was too much steak in the fridge. I had 4 meals of steak that day. And still wanted more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

There is literally no downside

I do pilates so probably similar, I've been doing it for years, not a fan of Zoom but I'm persevering, I know some people think it's an easy option but it's very tough imo, hate the class but feel great afterwards.

An ex of mine was mad into it and persuaded me to partake a few times.

It wasn't for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Fils

Yoga is fine if you do office work all day.

Advertisement