Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW Golf - coolant question

Options
  • 08-06-2021 7:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭

So I got a low coolant warning in our 151 Golf this morning. Figured it would be easy enough top up.

The manual says to use G13 it G12++ only, and not to use/mix with G12+ or G12. It suggests that these don't give as good protection, not necessarily that it will damage the car to use them.

My local Circle K has a pretty generic coolant - this one to be precise: https://www.q8oils.com/product/q8-antifreeze-long-life/

The label says:

"VW/Seat/Audi
    TL774D (G12)
    TL774F (G12+)
    TL774G (G12++)"

So this seems to suggest that it's suitable for all 3, even though the manual says not to use G12 or G12+. Any thoughts on that?

However, the website link above doesn't mention G12++. It only mentions:

VAG VW TL 774 D (G12)
    VAG VW TL 774 F (G12+)

So now I don't know what to think.

Any advice welcome - should probably say the reason Im considering using it is I need to do a 40km journey around 5am tomorrow morning. The warning light no longer comes on once the engine warmed up and the engine temp is in the normal range. The coolant seems to be halfway between Minimum level and empty.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

That will be fine.

The reason it advises not to use variants of G12 is because G12 coolants are not life long, whereas G13 is intended to be, so filling your Golfs coolant system with G12 would disagree with the servicing advice of the the Golf 7 which says the coolant is for life.

G12 will be fine for a top up, if you are very worried though you could top it up with distilled water, a tiny dilution with distilled water (or G12) really wont do any harm.

The real issue though is where is your coolant going? Water pump failure is very common.

There's also different corrosion inhibitors and stuff but grand to mix for a top up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

The real issue though is where is your coolant going? Water pump failure is very common.

To be honest, I've never looked at the coolant level since we got the car. But I assume a 151 shouldnt be near empty @ 100k KM. I was under the impression coolant shouldnt really go anywhere, or at least not almost empty within 6 years - or am I mistaken?

Yes it's a sealed system so in theory should never drop, ever.

If it needs another top up i'd get it looked at but IMO the writing is on the wall for it. Not the end of the world, probably just the water pump, should be cheap and cheerful.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

Thanks for the advice. Will top it up tomorrow and monitor it over the coming days/weeks. Hopefully its nothing too drastically fast!

• Advertisement
Advertisement