Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are the new building regulations that involve having a vent in each room enforced?

Options
  • 08-06-2021 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭

I'm just wondering are private dwellings subjected to the legal requirement that they must have a vent in each room?

So if you own a house that was built in 2004 that only has a vent in the bathrooms how would these new rules be enforced so that you are legally obliged to install a vent in each room? Are there actual inspectors that inspect private properties?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

icarus_67 wrote: »
    I'm just wondering are private dwellings subjected to the legal requirement that they must have a vent in each room?

So if you own a house that was built in 2004 that only has a vent in the bathrooms how would these new rules be enforced so that you are legally obliged to install a vent in each room? Are there actual inspectors that inspect private properties?

It would be more so on the occupying person/s if you value life.....

If renting you could contact environmental health officer in local council to report.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭icarus_67

If renting you could contact environmental health officer in local council to report.
    So there is no inspectors going into private dwellings?

I'm pretty sure most occupying persons are fine with having vents in the bathrooms and just using the windows in the other rooms as has been done for decades?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

So there is no inspectors going into private dwellings?

I'm pretty sure most occupying persons are fine with having vents in the bathrooms and just using the windows in the other rooms as has been done for decades?

Sure new builds were left to self regulate, which is why we have had so many cases of apartments etc with fire issues and then having to spend millions to rectify as the original builders walked away, then came back bought up at knocked down prices etc, recession.

All sorts of mad stuff going on.

Our house was built in 98, we are here 2 years now, insulation would be moderate, vents in all rooms but the floors are like cardboard you hear absolutely everything up or down and might as well be in the room such as TV or conversation....

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Madeoface

More likely landlord trying to avoid the expense I'd say....

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭Biker1

If the house was built in 2004 then the relevant Building Regulations apply for that period and have nothing to do with the current standards unless you are doing a major refurbishment, then today's regulations apply.

• Advertisement

Biker1 wrote: »
    If the house was built in 2004 then the relevant Building Regulations apply for that period and have nothing to do with the current standards unless you are doing a major refurbishment, then today's regulations apply.
    How do you know that though? Does it say that somewhere online? I think the new regulations are retroactive are they not?

I've been talking to people on here who had to install vents in every room because of the new regulations.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Your mixing up pub talk with the requirements of Part F of the building regulations.

The regulations require suitable ventilation. Part F from a 2004 build house is significantly different to the Part F that’s enforcers nowadays with the lower air charge rates and increased insulation.

Suitable ventilation can be achieved (back in 2004) by way of a wall vent or a vent in the window.

The new regulations are not enforced onto existing properties generally.

How do you know that though? Does it say that somewhere online? I think the new regulations are retroactive are they not?

I've been talking to people on here who had to install vents in every room because of the new regulations.

If you actually read the new regulations it tells you when they are applicable for. It tells you the actually date and transition periods.

Your also mixing up Building Regulations with the Minimum Standards for Rental Accommodation which does require a vent in every room (wall or window).

Gumbo wrote: »
    If you actually read the new regulations it tells you when they are applicable for. It tells you the actually date and transition periods.

Your also mixing up Building Regulations with the Minimum Standards for Rental Accommodation which does require a vent in every room (wall or window).
    It's a 94 page PDF file and I can't easily find the part where it says homes built before the new regulations came into effect are not effected by the new regulations. I'll have another look at the document tomorrow.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,076 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

It's a 94 page PDF file and I can't easily find the part where it says homes built before the new regulations came into effect are not effected by the new regulations. I'll have another look at the document tomorrow.

its in the first few pages

im very interested in WHY you're asking this question

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭rostalof

sydthebeat wrote: »
    its in the first few pages

im very interested in WHY you're asking this question

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2058192108/1/#post117373655

• Subscribers Posts: 41,076 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

rostalof wrote: »

Thank you!

OP... install the vents !!

Page 4
    In general, this document applies to works, or buildings in which a material change of use takes place, where the works or the change of use commence or takes place, as the case may be, on or after 1st November 2019 Technical Guidance Document F - Ventilation dated 2009, also ceases to have effect from that date. However, the latter document may continue to be used in the case of buildings
    - where the works or the change of use commences or takes place, as the case may be, on or before 31st October 2019, or
    - where:
    a) planning approval or permission has been applied for on or before 31st October 2019, and substantial work has been completed by 1st November 2020 or;
    - b) a notice pursuant to the provisions of Part 8 of the Planning and Development Regulations 2001 (S.I. No. 600 of 2001), has been published on or before 31st October 2019, and substantial work has been completed by
    1st November 2020.
    “Substantial work has been completed” means that the structure of the external walls has been erected.

PS. It’s a 44 page document ;)

Advertisement