Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garden firepit/chimnea - legal position

Options
  • 08-06-2021 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭

Hi

Bought a firepit a while back and I was wondering what their status is in terms of using them legally? I assume what also comes into play is what can be burnt in them legally - assuming, given their widespread sales, that they are legal? I know, for example, that it is illegal to burn garden waste - and while I don't have any trees on my property, out of curiosity does that mean it would even be illegal for people who cut down a tree to burn the timber? But yet that person could buy the very same tree in a petrol forecourt and burn that - or am I missing something obvious?

Thanks all

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

In practice- ifyou light a chiminea, the LA will only know to investigate if they get a complaint/report from a neighbour. If they come to check, they have to find waste being burnt- I don't think any environment enforcement personnel will mistake timber (from whatever source) as waste. Garden waste would be more along the lines of dried out hedge cutting etc. It is arguable what difference there is- I suppose it is down to big pieces of sawn wood being deemed to be fuel rather waste.
    There is also the issue that commercially bought wood that is still wet is being looked at in terms of emissions- so the cheap bag of logs at the garage may be phased out as it is frequently isn't dried out sufficiently before being sold.

So- you are ok burning timber once it is dry (and there is no point in burning wet wood in a firepit anyway,- but strictly following the law, you aren't allowed to burn pallets etc. as this would be deemed to be burning of waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

Thanks for that. Might have been easier not to have bought it! Surprised sales of them just haven't been stopped as it seems like a bit of a mess in terms of what you can and can't do!

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tDw6u1bj

I always found it funny that patio heaters are seen as the poster-child of celtic tiger wastefulness and pointless disregard for the environment but chimineas/firepits get a complete pass.
    Renewable, but even less efficient and more environmentally damaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭legend99

tDw6u1bj wrote: »
    I always found it funny that patio heaters are seen as the poster-child of celtic tiger wastefulness and pointless disregard for the environment but chimineas/firepits get a complete pass.
    Renewable, but even less efficient and more environmentally damaging.

Isn't that the case with wood burners in general? Weren't people encouraged to put in like pellet burners etc and now that are saying they are bad?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭tDw6u1bj

legend99 wrote: »
    Isn't that the case with wood burners in general? Weren't people encouraged to put in like pellet burners etc and now that are saying they are bad?

Kinda, you get the feeling that there was a phase where the folks making policy didn't realise there's a difference between "renewable" and "environmentally friendly". Thats said, pellet burners are a hell of a lot more efficient than a fireplace (ie. a lot more of the energy goes into heating your home than a fireplace where most of it goes up the chimney). And obviously a chiminea is very inefficient as you're trying to heat an open space.

• Advertisement
Advertisement