Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Before they were famous

Options
  • 07-06-2021 9:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Did you grow up with or know anyone before they became big, either in Ireland or abroad?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

My dad's a pretty big wheel down at the cracker factory.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,509 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Went to school with someone who is a minor figure in politics who made headlines for doing something stupid a few years back

• Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Went to school with someone who is a minor figure in politics who made headlines for doing something stupid a few years back

Tom Barry?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

Went to school with someone who was slim as could be. They moved to the US and now weigh in at about 30 stone. They became BIG.

• Advertisement

Gulliver was a year behind me in school. His adventures in becoming big and very, very small are now the stuff of legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Knew this fella before he blew up on the scene

article-0-0BE714FA00000578-40_468x286.jpg

Chris O’Dowd?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

My dad's a pretty big wheel down at the cracker factory.

Can I borrow a feeling?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,789 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I knew The Cranberries when they were starting out - nice bunch.

I knew Cillian Murphy before he took to acting - he was a serious guitar player!
    Then I happened to be working on the first movie appearance he made - a very tiny part with one word of dialogue. Lovely fella.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

I knew ann doyle before she was famous. Every Saturday night in our local pub. Stilettos and a tight tight mini skirt cursing like a sailor.
    Look at her now. Who knew

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I was at school with Ben Kane. He's not exactly a household name but he is a reasonably successful author of historical fiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,782 ✭✭✭silliussoddius

I was at school with Ben Kane. He's not exactly a household name but he is a reasonably successful author of historical fiction.

I liked his Forgotten Legion series. Must check out some of his other stuff.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,896 Mod ✭✭✭✭iamstop

I went to school with a lad who was a star player on the Dublin GAA football team.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,295 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Not really

• Registered Users Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

I was in South Africa on business many years ago, and met this kid at the table beside me in a McDonalds. He'd got a Happy Meal, but the toy in it - I think it was a Snoopy water pistol of some sort - was broken, and he was very upset. I had just been to a trade show, and had got a load of the free branded junk they give out, so I dipped into my bag and pulled out a little car that ran on batteries and could drive around by itself that I'd got from an investment bank called Spacey, and I gave it to him.

"Spacey!" he said. "What a cool name! Do they make rockets?".

"No" I said. "They make money".

His eyes lit up. "I'm going to do that when I grow up!" he said, turning on the car and watching it drive around the scattered French Fries on the table.

"What, make a rocket? Or money? Or a car?" I laughed.

"All of them!" he said.

Next thing his mother called him. "Elon, don't talk to strangers"

So I left.

Advertisement