Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car insurance gap - no claims impact

Options
  • 07-06-2021 8:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

My car insurance is up in middle of June and I am planning to buy a new car in July.

I've checked a few websites and sent emails but finding it difficult to confirm... If I have an insurance gap (even for less than 1 month) , is there any impact in getting new car insurance or losing my no claims discount?

Id rather not just renew on my old car and then transfer across!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭Miscreant

ACAandCTA wrote: »
    My car insurance is up in middle of June and I am planning to buy a new car in July.

I've checked a few websites and sent emails but finding it difficult to confirm... If I have an insurance gap (even for less than 1 month) , is there any impact in getting new car insurance or losing my no claims discount?

Id rather not just renew on my old car and then transfer across!

As far a I'm aware, your no claims certificate is valid for 2 years from date of issue. I don't think there will be an problem if there is a gap in your insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ACAandCTA

Miscreant wrote: »
    As far a I'm aware, your no claims certificate is valid for 2 years from date of issue. I don't think there will be an problem if there is a gap in your insurance.

Thanks for your comments. My current insurance provide (Zurich) have confirmed the 2 year timeframe applies, hopefully it is pretty standard across the board.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,387 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

ACAandCTA wrote: »
    Thanks for your comments. My current insurance provide (Zurich) have confirmed the 2 year timeframe applies, hopefully it is pretty standard across the board.

It seems to be. A lot of couples who downgrade from two cars to one will flip the policy around every year to hang on to their (two) no-claims discounts, in case they ever decide to go back to two cars.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

That seems to conflict with what you said in the final sentence on a different thread below though....
    coylemj wrote: »
    You don't have to own it, you just need to have an insurable interest in it. A wife is considered to have an insurable interest in her husband's car.

If you inherit a house but probate is not yet complete, you have an insurable inerest in it, even though you don t yet own it. When I signed the contract to buy my house, even though the closing was a few months away, my solicitor told me I now had an insurable interest in it and should insure it.

The policyholder is expected to be the main driver.

Advertisement