Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal Ban

Options
  • 07-06-2021 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭

Hi
    I am appealing the one week ban and further warning imposed by mod Muffler in the Dongeal forum essentially for posting a countervailing argument on the Mica thread. Mod in question has allowed a very one sided argument to form: one laced with accusations of corruption to borderline conspiracy theories about "Leinster Government".

I have posted opposition to this narrative, questioning why they believe the State is responsible, since the State didn't force anyone to use these materials, nor did it ever guarantee their quality. Unable to answer these questions, Muffler has abused his position as moderator to silence (muffle if you will) any argument that questions why they (including himself) believe that the State is responsible for paying >100% towards the cost of repairs.

I have discussed this with the mod in question via PM and he is not for turning. I would like the ban lifted and the warning removed from thread. We should be able to discuss these issues and hear all opinions on the matter, not just one side.

MrM.
    Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Ill have a look into this

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Gaspode wrote: »
    Ill have a look into this

Thanks Gaspode

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,009 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Hi, sorry for the delay, I had a lot of posts to go through.

I cant say that you were trolling, but given the content of the thread and the people who were posting before your arrival I think you were quite insensitive to the anguish some of them are going through.
    Is that enough for a one week ban? No I dont think so so that will go.
    However, I will modify the ban to a two day one for arguing with the mod on thread, and ask that you don't post in that particular thread again without asking one of the local mods first.

Gaspode

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Gaspode wrote: »
    Hi, sorry for the delay, I had a lot of posts to go through.

I cant say that you were trolling, but given the content of the thread and the people who were posting before your arrival I think you were quite insensitive to the anguish some of them are going through.
    Is that enough for a one week ban? No I dont think so so that will go.
    However, I will modify the ban to a two day one for arguing with the mod on thread, and ask that you don't post in that particular thread again without asking one of the local mods first.

Gaspode

Presumably the ban will now be changed to time served and will be lifted now?

As for arguing with a mod on thread, mod Muffler has been both a contributor and moderator. While not mentioned specifically in the forum charter, calling someone trolly on thread isn't acceptable, especially from someone blending contribution and moderation. I would suggest that where a moderator is making an active contribution in a contentious thread that perhaps actions should be handled by someone else. The above not withstanding I accept that aspect of your determination.

In any case the ban isn't really the issue I'm concerned about. Its that I've been told I have to desist from posing a certain line of questioning on return. The forum is for discussion and it has to be accepted that there are people out there that believe that the proposed scheme is generous, even if those that are in the thick of it do not and this view shouldn't be silenced. Boards never was about it being a place to get your tummy tickled, its always been a home of robust debate. Sometimes that can be uncomfortable admittedly.

What we shouldn't have is that when there is another "oh the government is terrible" post that it won't be possible to question this. I would ask that that particular warning be removed from thread and we can all agree to post more mindfully?

Thanks

MrM.

Hi, yes ban has been served. You make some valid points about dissenting opinions and I agree with them. Local mods are discussing ways to deal with this particular thread.

• Advertisement
Advertisement