Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Issue with young Cherry Blossom

Options
  • 07-06-2021 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭

Hi, i was hoping someone could help.

I planted a young cherry blossom tree in the garden earlier this year. One of the limbs appears to be having issues. The leaves are yellowing and eventually turning brown. There are some new limbs forming on the tree on both the yellowing section and non yellowing section. I had a google and checked for Dieback, brown rot and black knot but the symptoms don't seem to exactly match any of those three things but i am also not 100% what i should be looking for. The cure for these are cutting the limb off but i wanted to be sure before taking such drastic action as it is a large section that is affected.

I am also thinking that perhaps i planted it at the wrong time or something. It was planted near the end of March. It had been flowering in the pot i bought it in and once it had finished i soaked it over night and then planted it. It was inside for a while after i bought it and i had been leaving outside during the day for 1-2 weeks prior to planting it in the ground.

Also, my sister bought the same tree from the same place (LIDL) and has it planted in her garden. It seems to have the same issue although nowhere near the same level.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭biddyearley

Ishmael wrote: »
    Hi, i was hoping someone could help.

I planted a young cherry blossom tree in the garden earlier this year. One of the limbs appears to be having issues. The leaves are yellowing and eventually turning brown. There are some new limbs forming on the tree on both the yellowing section and non yellowing section. I had a google and checked for Dieback, brown rot and black knot but the symptoms don't seem to exactly match any of those three things but i am also not 100% what i should be looking for. The cure for these are cutting the limb off but i wanted to be sure before taking such drastic action as it is a large section that is affected.

I am also thinking that perhaps i planted it at the wrong time or something. It was planted near the end of March. It had been flowering in the pot i bought it in and once it had finished i soaked it over night and then planted it. It was inside for a while after i bought it and i had been leaving outside during the day for 1-2 weeks prior to planting it in the ground.

Also, my sister bought the same tree from the same place (LIDL) and has it planted in her garden. It seems to have the same issue although nowhere near the same level.

Are you sure it's a cherry?

I'd pull that bark mulch away from the tree trunk. It's not supposed to touch the tree. Keep the mulch 4-6 inches from the tree trunk.

If it was in a pot it can generally be planted at anytime of the year, late March would be fine.

Check you haven't planted it too deep. If it's not diseased it might just be suffering from transplant shock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

Are you sure it's a cherry?

Reasonably sure. The leaves look a bit decrepit at the moment but do look fairly similar to pics online. It did bloom fairly early, probably about a 4 / 6 weeks before all the other outdoor ones in the neighbourhood but i just put that down to it having been indoors in warmer conditions.
    I'd pull that bark mulch away from the tree trunk. It's not supposed to touch the tree. Keep the mulch 4-6 inches from the tree trunk.

If it was in a pot it can generally be planted at anytime of the year, late March would be fine.

Check you haven't planted it too deep. If it's not diseased it might just be suffering from transplant shock

Cheers.

I've removed all of the bark now. The fecking blackbirds were continuously flinging it around the place anyway so no loss tbh.

I carefully excavated and there was probably about 4 inches of the tree buried in the soil down to the top of the root ball. Took about an hour with a small trowel but i carefully excavated around the root ball and managed to lift it (i'm hoping) without doing too much damage to the roots. I've raised it up to have the top of the roots covered with about 1/2 inch of soil. Will see how it goes.

Thanks for the advice. I would never have even considered such a thing was a problem tbh.

I was thinking it looks like a plum or an apple. Check the leafstalk and see if there are two tiny raised glands/bumps just below where the stalk joins the leaf. IF yes, it's a cherry.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭standardg60

It's possibly Prunus triloba.
    May well be just acclimatising to being brought outdoors, and also agree with raising it, just see how it does now over the next few months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭Ishmael

It's possibly Prunus triloba.
    May well be just acclimatising to being brought outdoors, and also agree with raising it, just see how it does now over the next few months.

Prunus triloba looks to be pretty spot on to what it looked like when it was flowering and the leaves do seem to match up too. I initially thought it was just acclimatizing but it just seemed to be progressively worsening.

Wikipedia says: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prunus_triloba. So it is a cherry that is called a flowering plum or flowering almond ... that's not confusing at all :pac:

Will set a reminder to post an update in a month or two. Hopefully it is on the mend by then. Thanks for the posts.

Ishmael wrote: »
    Prunus triloba looks to be pretty spot on to what it looked like when it was flowering and the leaves do seem to match up too. I initially thought it was just acclimatizing but it just seemed to be progressively worsening.

Wikipedia says: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prunus_triloba. So it is a cherry that is called a flowering plum or flowering almond ... that's not confusing at all :pac:

Will set a reminder to post an update in a month or two. Hopefully it is on the mend by then. Thanks for the posts.
    It's not a cherry then.It's either a plum or cherry-a relative.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,477 ✭✭✭standardg60

It's not a cherry then.It's either a plum or cherry-a relative.

They all fall under the same genus.

Welcome to the wacky world of Prunus, where all may not be as it seems!

Advertisement