Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking up new role as an alternative to redundancy

Options
  • 07-06-2021 9:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭

So my job has been made redundant and I have the opportunity to apply for another role in the same company (as an alternative to taking the redundancy package). Apparently, under this scenario both myself and the employer have the option to reject the new role and still avail of the redundancy package within the first 28 days of starting the new position.

Does anyone know what the situation is with this option in the situation where I decide to reject the new role after accepting it? It seems a bit too clear cut to me and I'm worried that it's not as simple as it seems. Is it a more limited option than it appears and only certain valid reasons are acceptable? I'm just worried that I will choose to reject the new and but then discover that I've forfeited my redundancy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Vestiapx

How long were you in your current role ? How different is this new role ?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭hurleronditch

AngryLips wrote: »
    So my job has been made redundant and I have the opportunity to apply for another role in the same company (as an alternative to taking the redundancy package). Apparently, under this scenario both myself and the employer have the option to reject the new role and still avail of the redundancy package within the first 28 days of starting the new position.

Does anyone know what the situation is with this option in the situation where I decide to reject the new role after accepting it? It seems a bit too clear cut to me and I'm worried that it's not as simple as it seems. Is it a more limited option than it appears and only certain valid reasons are acceptable? I'm just worried that I will choose to reject the new and but then discover that I've forfeited my redundancy.

Without seeing the specifics it’s impossible for anyone here to state that with any confidence.

Can you ask boss/HR for the specific terms of this option?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,687 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Vestiapx wrote: »
    How long were you in your current role ? How different is this new role ?

Nearly three years. The new role is a completely different job in a different department. While my skillset is transferable, the job itself is totally different however it is based in the same office and all the other standard contract terms would be the same.

Without seeing the specifics it’s impossible for anyone here to state that with any confidence.

Can you ask boss/HR for the specific terms of this option?

The company FAQ just says that I have the option to reject the role if I so choose (and vice versa)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,780 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Are you happy there?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭3DataModem

That's a common enough clause. It benefits you far more than the employer. If you are worried about the exact details of the terms, then best to invest in a employment-law familiar solicitor to check the agreement before you sign it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

I think the question is whether you want a redundancy package or whether you want the new job. Would the lumpsum be helpful and could you find a new job?

If you move to the new role you might not like it, or you might not perform well and face disciplinaries. 28 days is not really long enough to find out if the new job isn't for you. And after redundancies, the atmosphere and workloads can be a lot different than before redundancies.

Advertisement