Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sky loses Boxing Matches to Dazn Sport

Options
  • 05-06-2021 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭

Copied & pasted from Broadband News site

DAZN has signed a new five-year deal with boxing promoter Matchroom that will see major boxing bouts move from Sky to the Len Blavatnik streaming service.

It brings to the end a six-year agreement with Sky; matches will also be seen as part of the regular DAZN subscription, rather than on pay-per-view.

At least 16 Matchroom UK fights would be made available annually, exclusively to DAZN subscribers in the UK and Ireland, from July 2021 onwards.

“This historic deal builds on the success and momentum of our long-term partnership with Matchroom around the world and solidifies DAZN at the forefront of the global sports streaming era,” DAZN Co-CEO James Rushton.

DAZN and Matchroom already hold contracts in the United States, Italy and Spain, where UK events will also be shown.

“We have made the monumental decision to sign a historic 5-year deal with sports streaming giant DAZN,” said Matchroom Boxing Chairman Eddie Hearn. “This means that our UK events will now be broadcast live on DAZN along with all Matchroom shows across the world. Pushing the boundaries is something we will always continue to do and we needed a partner that shared our vision for boxing, and who was also willing to make the investment to make those dreams a reality.”

Matchroom has recently created its own production company, Matchroom Media, who will now be responsible for live production.

DAZN continues to demonstrate it poses major competition to the established pay-TV sports platforms. In Germany, DAZN has the rights to the Bundesliga and UEFA Champions League, while in Italy the company holds rights to Serie A.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,022 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

Yeah Eddie was on about it yesterday, the only one seemingly who may be still in play is AJ.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Hopefully puts an end to the likes of Chisora and White headlining PPVs.

I'd imagine it's gonna get even worse tbf :D

Can see them really getting behind Eubank actually and pushing for a title fight with Canelo for him next year.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 6,542 ✭✭✭bassy

I'd imagine it's gonna get even worse tbf :D

Can see them really getting behind Eubank actually and pushing for a title fight with Canelo for him next year.

oh lord god above,more fodder for canelooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

I don't see a path to victory for Eubank don't get me wrong, but it's actually a fight I'd like to see. He meets him in the middle of the ring and he's tough as they come, it would be fireworks for as long as it lasts!

• Advertisement

I don't see a path to victory for Eubank don't get me wrong, but it's actually a fight I'd like to see. He meets him in the middle of the ring and he's tough as they come, it would be fireworks for as long as it lasts!

might be a better fight than the billy blow job fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Dana White? Is he involved in boxing promotion?

Not anymore no, though he did venture back in with that Mayweather Mcgregor sparring a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Butson

Sky have signed a deal with Top Rank to show their shows in the UK and Ireland.
    Middle of the night fights but will have the likes of Loma and Inoue in the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Diddley Squat

I see Adam Smith is gone to horse racing.

Smith ran the boxing at Sky Sports for a long time, not just a commentator.

Is he completely finished with it or just filling time between bouts ?

• Advertisement

Smith does the darts to it's unbareable to listen to him commentate on darts...............

Dazn price increasing to €8 a month.

Not sure if worth that for Matchroom boxing alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Morrison J

Think they've vastly overrated their product with that price tbh. Definitely not worth it watching Campbell Hatton co-main cards. Matchroom USA cards seem to have stalled completely too.

Yeah I think they have got this one seriously wrong.

€8 for just boxing. Well, just Matchroom Boxing. No thanks.

Even if the likes of AJ moves over, he fights max twice a year. The Fury fight if it ever happens will be PPV.

Advertisement