Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Crostini/Linux enabled on my Chromebook

Options
  • 04-06-2021 12:29pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭

At last!
    My Asus C302a has had Crostini enabled on it.
    All I had to do was switch to canary mode and switch the Chrome://flag to allow experimental kernels and it was good to go.
    My Pixel 2015 has had the option for some time, but that had just had it's last update, EOL June '21.
    The Asus has years left before then, though it's a less capable device.
    Still, thought I would mention it here.
    Many thought the chipset would never gain Linux support.
    Yes, you could have always installed it as an OS, and select it on start-up, but this is neater.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,725 ✭✭✭niallb

Good to hear.

I've a pair of 2013 vintage HP Chromebook 14's - the Falco version.

They went end of life two years ago.
    I flashed the mrchromebox firmware on them to allow installation of other OS's.

What I'm running on them is Cloudready, so they act just like they always did, but still receive updates in 2021.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,557 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

niallb wrote: »
    Good to hear.

I've a pair of 2013 vintage HP Chromebook 14's - the Falco version.

They went end of life two years ago.
    I flashed the mrchromebox firmware on them to allow installation of other OS's.

What I'm running on them is Cloudready, so they act just like they always did, but still receive updates in 2021.

My Pixel is fantastic, great build and still fast as heck.
    The Lacros Chrome browser that is on it will continue to be updated despite the EOL, including security updates.
    So, no new system features, but it'll continue to be secure with updates.
    I was hoping the installed Google App Store will be updated to 11, it's 9 at the minute

Advertisement