Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another coffee machine thread

Options
  • 04-06-2021 7:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭

Hi Boardies.

Looking for some advice here. I have a Rancilio Silvia paired with a eureka grinder. I recently made some great coffee for my parents so much so that they now want to get an espresso set up for themselves!

They like their coffee and have always used nespresso up to now. My worry is that they are in their late 60’s and I’m not sure they would be great with all the workflow faff of an espresso machine (which I love).

The obvious answer is a fully automatic machine but have read mixed reviews, and I’m not sure how much of a step up from nespresso they are.

Budget isn’t too much of an issue, within reason. Any feedback on automatic machines would be much appreciated, and also any semi automatics that might be a bit simpler than my current set up.

They have a French press as well so it’s really only an espresso machine I’m thinking about.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭alec76

jura ,siemens ,bosch ,nivona probably brands to consider.
    They all made by same OEM factory Eugster/Frismag ( Switzerland)
    no much difference between them , sharing same chassis.

• Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭Tabby McTat

Thanks for that. Have come across some Jura machines alright. Would love to hear some real world experience. The reddit coffee forums are very dismissive of automatic machines - maybe says more about Reddit than the machines themselves though!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭phelixoflaherty

Why does it have to be an automatic machine?
    Lend them your gear. Take a break yourself from coffee. Who doesn't love strong tea.
    They might enjoy shopping on the 2nd hand market for kit.
    Never had a bean to cup machine but imagine it would be very restricting, the odd god shot keeps the interest going.
    Maybe they are reflecting your enthusiasm.
    Another thing is not everyone wants to fork out €11 on a bag of beans unless they really get the bug

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭alec76

Thanks for that. Have come across some Jura machines alright. Would love to hear some real world experience. The reddit coffee forums are very dismissive of automatic machines - maybe says more about Reddit than the machines themselves though!

I had Delongi myself , average priced model , it was alright once you haven’t tried semi auto. Friend of mine had top of the range Delongi ( 1k+) , it was not any better in terms of shot quality.

Advertisement