Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Detached garage,extension for Granny flat.

• 03-06-2021 8:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭

Detached brick garage to the rear of the house,possibly looking to extend it beyond 25sqm for a granny flat for my mother.Only want to extend it by another 7/8sqm,what is the likely hood of being granted planning permission?.House is detached in a small private estate with another 14 detached houses,if that makes any difference.

(Im completely clueless to anything planning related,this is very much in the early discussion stage,so any thoughts welcome)

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

pkvader wrote: »
    Detached brick garage to the rear of the house,possibly looking to extend it beyond 25sqm for a granny flat for my mother.Only want to extend it by another 7/8sqm,what is the likely hood of being granted planning permission?.House is detached in a small private estate with another 14 detached houses,if that makes any difference.

(Im completely clueless to anything planning related,this is very much in the early discussion stage,so any thoughts welcome)

Won’t get permission for use as a granny flat. It will be an extended shed.
    Granny flats have to be connected to the main dwelling with an interlinking door set.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭pkvader

Gumbo wrote: »
    Won’t get permission for use as a granny flat. It will be an extended shed.
    Granny flats have to be connected to the main dwelling with an interlinking door set.

So using it as a liveable space is out?

Thanks for the reply

So using it as a liveable space is out?

Thanks for the reply

Ancillary to the main house. So games room, workshop, shed, home office etc
    Just not habitable use.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭pkvader

Thanks for the replys lads

Thanks for the replys lads

I may have put on some Covid pounds but I’m still one person and deffo only one lad :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,813 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Gumbo wrote: »
    I may have put on some Covid pounds but I’m still one person and deffo only one lad :D
    :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭G-Man

"Ancillary to main house" If I convert or extend an existing sound garage with proper windows insulation, plumbing etc, when does it become habitable. Is it the action of regular habitation or the capability. I would assume there is no barrier to me doing this (properly) and never claiming its actually habitable. Or can i fall foul of making it habitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,813 ✭✭✭✭muffler

If it becomes habitable then it has to be part of the exemptions in the first place otherwise you need permission.

Advertisement