Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Powerline Adapter VS Bridging.

Options
  • 03-06-2021 4:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Have got a new job and they are insisting on a hard wired network. The two ways they have suggested doing this is to buy Powerline Adapters or to run the cable directly to the modem.

Now I am working in a converted walk in wardrobe so there is no direct power line just an lead coming from the bedroom. So the powerline is not an option.

We are renting the house so I'm not going to try to drill through ceilings and floors to run the cable up.

If I get a router set it to bridge mode and then connect plug into that would that work ? Would the company be any the wiser?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

How far away is the power socket in the bedroom?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭piplip87

theteal wrote: »
    How far away is the power socket in the bedroom?

Ah its about 3 meters I've the lead ran in through the side wall of the Office. I know I could run a ethernet cable in, handly enough I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 IraqiJaki

I would love to know how they will detect you're not using Wifi. You must be working with top secret information if Wifi encryption between your machine and your router plus if you're using VPN software which by itself is encrypted isn't enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

I've a powerline adapter on a 3m extension lead and it works just fine. Including work Zoom calls. Also, that extension lead is plugged into a socket on a dedicated electric circuit in the attic, while the router is in the hall on the house ring main.

piplip87 wrote: »
    Ah its about 3 meters I've the lead ran in through the side wall of the Office. I know I could run a ethernet cable in, handly enough I suppose.

Yup, powerline receiver end into the same plug you're already using. Eth cable the same length as your power. No big issue.
    IraqiJaki wrote: »
    I would love to know how they will detect you're not using Wifi.

They may just have the WNIC disabled on the device they provide.

• Advertisement

theteal wrote: »
    Yup, powerline receiver end into the same plug you're already using. Eth cable the same length as your power. No big issue.

They may just have the WNIC disabled on the device they provide.

I've worked for this company indirectly before WIFI is disabled on everything.

I've a powerline adapter on a 3m extension lead and it works just fine.

Yeah I've a vague memory of testing that before and it worked fine. I know they say not to have the powerline receiver in an extension thingy but I don't use them enough to ever bother looking into the details.

Can anybody recommend a decent set of adapters ?

I've worked for this company indirectly before WIFI is disabled on everything.

I've nothing to back this up but I've been told that Amazon offices are the same. Considering I've spent a good chunk of the last two days troubleshooting a WLC in a remote office, I'm starting to like the idea!

I've been using a powerline adapter and find it very inconsistent. I'm on SIRO 1gb and was only getting 50mb with the powerline. Bought a 30m flat Cat 6 cable on Amazon and installed it. No drops at all now and getting close to 800mb at my pc now.

• Advertisement

Can anybody recommend a decent set of adapters ?

I have a set of these in the house. They don't get used a whole lot but they've been fine when called upon.

Jacksie66. wrote: »
    I've been using a powerline adapter and find it very inconsistent. I'm on SIRO 1gb and was only getting 50mb with the powerline. Bought a 30m flat Cat 6 cable on Amazon and installed it. No drops at all now and getting close to 800mb at my pc now.

Very dependent on house electrics. I know the electics in my house could do with an upgrade and while the plugs I've mentioned work fine, I do note that latency to the router is better over wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Jacksie66. wrote: »

I found the powerline to very dodgy with videocalling apps. Ended up using an Wifi extender which fixed the problem (altho I know that's no good for you if the company won't let you use wifi).

• Registered Users Posts: 3 IraqiJaki

Just get something like a TP-Link RE305 which has a RJ45 jack in the bottom and connect to your machine via cable and then use the Wifi. That should work if the wireless adapter is disabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,099 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Company's policy to disable WNIC could be :
    1. to prevent employee connecting to dodgy access points in public places
    2. to reduce support calls "my VPN dropping"
    3. certain applications cannot sustain connection dropouts or it might inflict data corruption.
    4. other

If you manage to get connected over powerline it might be fine, as long it does not conflict with company policy and does not effect your productivity.
    IT, if need to be, might be able to determine what type connection you use if you will be calling for support on connection issues, depends on company and job.
    Does bedroom have Ethernet port? - could be extended via switch.
    If have ability/skill or friend who does - Ethernet cable requires 6-8 mm hole through plasterboard partition before crimped, just above skirting boards. Corse it might not be suitable in rented property where router is floor bellow

Thanks all. Yea I have a KN network guy living around the corner. I think I'm just going to give him a shout and see if he fancys a nixer some evening and run the cable into the office. The office also doubles as a man cave so the Xbox could do with a wired connection too

Advertisement