Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question for mortgage brokers

Options
  • 03-06-2021 3:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

If you're a broker who arranged someone's mortgage, do you get notified if they change their payment up or down, if they go into arrears, or if they pay off their mortgage?
    Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Why do you ask OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭connected1

Why do you ask OP?

Because I am wondering if our broker will know if any of this happens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I can't see why they would be notified. The broker acts as an intermediary between the Banks and you, to find you the best Mortgage for your needs. Once the Mortgage is signed and in place, the relationship is only between the Bank and you. The Broker has done their work and has no relationship any more between you.

Caveat - I have never used a broker so I am 100%.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Mitzy

Hi OP,

I used to be a mortgage broker. The lender would not share such information with the broker as your relationship is with them for the actual mortgage.
    Plus since GDPR was introduced I can't imagine they would be allowed to share this information.

If you redeemed the mortgage within a certain timeframe any commission paid to the broker might be clawed back but again I can't image under GDPR the bank could disclose the reason for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭connected1

Thanks for the replies!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

If the brokers commission was paid on just the issue of the mortgage then there would be no need to pass on any further information. If the broker was receiving commission on an ongoing basis relating to the mortgage (I have no idea if this happens) then changes in mortgage payments or clearing early may result in changes in commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Trish56

I'm a mortgage broker and the answer is No. Once your Mortgage issues the Broker is no longer involved unless you switch or redeem the mortgage in the first three years then the Lender will apply a clawback on the commission as it is earned over three years.

You should however read the terms and conditions of your loan offer to ensure there is no contact with the Broker should you go into arrears.

Advertisement