Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Payment exceeds card limit

Options
  • 03-06-2021 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭

Hello
    Have to travel to Europe next week for medical reasons. Need to pay for medical services, amount exceeds 2500 per day card limit. Have sufficient funds on card but KBC said limit can't be increased. Splitting payment into 2 days is an option but not sure if clinic will be happy with this.
    Have PayPal but it may or may not be acceptable.
    Cash seems too risky. Any ideas?
    In future going to get Revolut card - would it resolve this situation?
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Ask the clinic what they will accept, they are the only ones that can answer this one for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭homer911

Bank Transfer?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭kozak

homer911 wrote: »
    Bank Transfer?
    My understanding Bank transfer requires visit to branch in advance. Would prefer to pay on arrival, covid makes travel uncertain

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

kozak wrote: »
    My understanding Bank transfer requires visit to branch in advance. Would prefer to pay on arrival, covid makes travel uncertain

There is a thing called ebanking......

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭kozak

Jim2007 wrote: »
    There is a thing called ebanking......

Apologies for ignorance - does e-banking mean something like PayPal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

Apologies for ignorance - does e-banking mean something like PayPal?

I presume he means just doing a transfer via your online banking while there.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,387 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

OP, do you have a credit card? You could transfer the money from your KBC account to the credit card account befre you travel and pay with it when you get there.

An electronic transfer may or may not be acceptable. The trouble is that unlike a debit or credit card, they don't get immediate confirmation that they will get paid. You can stand at the admissions desk and tell them that you've transferred the money but they can't see anything until the money arrives in their account so do they give you the treatment and hope for the best, or do they make you wait a day or so until the money arrives?

One option is that, before you travel, you ask them for a pro forma invoice and an IBAN number, you then transfer the money a few days before you travel so by the time you get to the clinic, they will have the money. Without a credit card, that's probably the best option.

Hello
    Have to travel to Europe next week for medical reasons. Need to pay for medical services, amount exceeds 2500 per day card limit. Have sufficient funds on card but KBC said limit can't be increased. Splitting payment into 2 days is an option but not sure if clinic will be happy with this.

I would contact the Clinic and explain the daily limit issue and ask can you split payment by card over two days. I'm sure if they've had patients from Ireland before, that they will have come up against this.

Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,332 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I had this exact same problem with my KBC card and a clinic in Europe. But I only discovered the issue when I had to pay on the day before I was leaving and I had to ring KBC and ask why I couldn't pay the amount even though I had it on my card. The agent then told me about the 2500 limit that I hadn't known which was the reason my payment was declined when I tried.

The agent suggested doing the multi-day payments but I explained that I was due to fly home the next day and my payment would have meant staying several extra days plus there would be no staff on the weekend to take it so that was no use. The Agent spoke to a supervisor and it was cleared.

KBC staff are generally very helpful so you could just phone and ask them to approve it in advance. I was staying for enough days that had I known in advance, the clinic would have taken the payments daily if necessary, I only just found out on the second last day that it would be an issue.

Advertisement