Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Called for jury duty but have national holiday booked

Options
  • 03-06-2021 10:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,451 ✭✭✭

Called for a Circuit Court Jury on a Tuesday.
    I've a 3 day holiday booked in Ireland the following Monday which includes a 3 night stay in a hotel.

Firstly, is likely I could be kept beyond the end of the week? (Letter states I should attend thereafter from day to day at times directed by Court).

Second, is a domestic holiday already booked an excuse to be excused?
    The wording of valid excuses specifically mentions "Holiday abroad"!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Contact the court clerk.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,678 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

rodge123 wrote: »
    Called for a Circuit Court Jury on a Tuesday.
    I've a 3 day holiday booked in Ireland the following Monday which includes a 3 night stay in a hotel.

Firstly, is likely I could be kept beyond the end of the week? (Letter states I should attend thereafter from day to day at times directed by Court).

Second, is a domestic holiday already booked an excuse to be excused?
    The wording of valid excuses specifically mentions "Holiday abroad"!

Court cases could go on any length of time from a few days to few months - you won't know until you get picked (you might not get picked) but you have to go in until the judge tells you not to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Happened me. I got picked for an actual jury. Judge asks everyone if they can serve. I explained I’m going away Saturday morning. Prosecution guy said trial should only take 3 days, ending Thursday and judge said it’s too tight and dismissed me. It wasn’t a huge issue at all. Didn’t ask to see bookings etc so it’ll be fine.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Similar issue for me. I went in first day. Wasn't called. Second day wasn't called. Third day, wasn't called. This time I went to the clerk and explained that I'd be unavailable the following week (work commitments). She was more than happy the remove me from the list and thanked me for turning up for the previous days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

Just let them know you have holidays booked and you will be excused - they may ask to see proof of booking

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭SupaCat95

Read the conditions for service very carefully. There is loads of wiggle room to avoid doing it.
    Worst case scenario, get the doctor to write you a letter to say you are suffering from depression.

Advertisement