Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Planning permission

• 03-06-2021 6:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hey guys, Myself and partner are in process of applying for planning permission.

However our sites build would be the 6th house in a row (within 250m).

It’s in a rural area and my partners fathers owns a few fields in the area however this one is the best site view etc

Do you think it is worth making an application?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,316 ✭✭✭✭muffler

What does your architect / planning agent say?

Check the County Development Plan and / or talk to the local planner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭mike_2009

there are changes to local rules / county development plans to stop granting planning permission to one off rural houses and move towards developing existing villages/towns instead. You can view the county development plan and then the council website to see recent planning applications and if they were refused / granted to gauge current trends. I'd definitely seek a pre planning meeting with the council to give you an insight into their exact current thinking and save you the expense of getting plans drawn up. Do it sooner rather than later but see if you would qualify for an exemption under the new rules when they are enforced. Ties to area/job in area - latest self build ireland magazine has a good article on it if you can pick that up?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Hatch1989

Thanks guys.

Planner is of the opinion chance it. 5 houses are allowed be built in such a situation no more than 5 though.
    Planner said that any other sites we had he would mention when applying for planning permission and come up with reasons as to why they couldn’t be used.

The site we have picked is elevated and has amazing views.

Architect we met for a brief meeting was dismissive of our chances as it was a 6 th house on the road to be built. He suggested a pre planning meeting.

We have spoken to couples that have had pre planning meetings and they have Swid they are a bit waste of time.
    The idea being “ throw in your application “ then the council start picking faults, that scenario happened to a friend of ours and planning permission was granted 2 years after.

Also our own planner dismissed a pre planning meeting saying you don’t want to run them up the wrong way...

Percolation test is next week for the site which is €1000 euro and we are thinking of cancelling it and look for a pre planning meeting though it may not be any use to us.

It’s all money I suppose - the architects opinion threw us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭Belt

Hatch1989 wrote: »
    Thanks guys.

Planner is of the opinion chance it. 5 houses are allowed be built in such a situation no more than 5 though.
    Planner said that any other sites we had he would mention when applying for planning permission and come up with reasons as to why they couldn’t be used.

The site we have picked is elevated and has amazing views.

Architect we met for a brief meeting was dismissive of our chances as it was a 6 th house on the road to be built. He suggested a pre planning meeting.

We have spoken to couples that have had pre planning meetings and they have Swid they are a bit waste of time.
    The idea being “ throw in your application “ then the council start picking faults, that scenario happened to a friend of ours and planning permission was granted 2 years after.

Also our own planner dismissed a pre planning meeting saying you don’t want to run them up the wrong way...

Percolation test is next week for the site which is €1000 euro and we are thinking of cancelling it and look for a pre planning meeting though it may not be any use to us.

It’s all money I suppose - the architects opinion threw us.

Just an fyi, your percolation test sounds pricey. For context, I got mine for €550 in Meath.

Belt wrote: »
    Just an fyi, your percolation test sounds pricey. For context, I got mine for €550 in Meath.

Thanks for that!
    I was onto the guy and have him down to 700 cash now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭hirondelle

What is your "local need"? this is the single biggest factor for rural one-offs.

hirondelle wrote: »
    What is your "local need"? this is the single biggest factor for rural one-offs.

My partner is from the area.
    Working from home currently and living in the area past couple of years and is involved in the local community.

She also helps out on her fathers farm.

It’s the ribbon development we are worried about

Hatch1989 wrote: »
    Planner is of the opinion chance it.
    I'm assuming you mean your own agent and not the Council planner?

muffler wrote: »
    I'm assuming you mean your own agent and not the Council planner?

Yes our own guy

The ribbon development aspect appears to be your main issue. If the CDP (County Development Plan) states a max of 5 houses permissible over a 250m stretch then the planner's hands are tied as they cant breach that CDP. Read that section of the plan to see if there are any mitigating factors that would allow the planners to grant permission for a 6th house. Worth a read in any event.

I would still proceed with a pre-planning meeting as it will not only address the ribbon development problem but any other issues that you are your agent may have overlooked or weren't aware of. All in all its a cheap way of getting a good pointer as to your chances of getting permission.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 bla.bla.b

Had a friend who was recently refused planning at the first time of asking on family land in the countryside. He and his partner were relocating to the countryside from a rental in an urban area. Anyway long story short, he put a standalone granny flat out the back in his second submission as it was required for his "ailing grandmother" who might happen to be living there - planning granted.

As others have suggested, i think if it is potentially in contravention to the CDP you may have to tell a good story in your application as to why you require it.

bla.bla.b wrote: »
    Had a friend who was recently refused planning at the first time of asking on family land in the countryside. He and his partner were relocating to the countryside from a rental in an urban area. Anyway long story short, he put a standalone granny flat out the back in his second submission as it was required for his "ailing grandmother" who might happen to be living there - planning granted.

As others have suggested, i think if it is potentially in contravention to the CDP you may have to tell a good story in your application as to why you require it.

Thanks so much for info.

Thinking of going down the route helping on the family farm with elderly parents...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭PMBC

Just be aware that the planners will often ask councillors from the area what the story is! Provided you are not telling porky pies, you will be ok in that respect.
    Best of luck.

PMBC wrote: »
    Just be aware that the planners will often ask councillors from the area what the story is!
    ... and would planners believe politicians?

Just be aware that the planners will often ask councillors from the area what the story is! Provided you are not telling porky pies, you will be ok in that respect.
    Best of luck.

Thanks v much! All legit hopefully that will weigh on our side against the ribbon development.

Will update could be a long process!

Best of luck.

Seriously?
    In this day and age?

OP, wouldn't waste time with a percolation test until you've an idea of whether PP is a runner. Unless its full of rushes, with the new CoP, it'll probably pass.

Hi guys,

any advice welcome here!

planning was rejected. Council looking for further information regarding site selection.

this happened 6 weeks ago. Since then our engineer has twice given two dates that he would submit the further information one in late September. And once at the beginning of October.

he has ignored numerous phone calls and texts and is impossible to get a hold of. We rang the county council today and they said no further information was received still.

we have received two texts from engineer in last 6 weeks, both stating he would have it submitted by the Friday of the week.

Any advise on the above? Do you think another engineer would take on the job?

we should of had feedback from our further information at this stage and we are getting very disheartened by our engineers failure to acknowledge phone calls messages etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,294 ✭✭✭VonLuck

Very unprofessional from the engineer. Was it a direct appointment by you or through the architect?

It doesn't sound like the application was refused if they're asking for further information. What exactly are they looking for?

We got the engineer ourselves no architect involved.

they are seeking on information regarding ribbon development - why has the site been picked over others.

yes 3 phone calls today and a text. No reply. Infuriating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,614 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Asking for further information is not the same as rejecting. It's not uncommon, especially given what you said about site and houses in a row.

I think VonLuck was assuming that the further information was in relation in a engineer aspect, hence an engineer engaged at this point by architect.

It's not uncommon to have no architect, or similar architectural professional. But I wouldn't have advised it.

What sort of engineer did you engage? Why an engineer?

What where the terms of their engagement. Full scope, or lodging planning only, etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭hkjohn

What courses are open to you if you've brought a serious breach of planning permission rules to your council's attention more than a year ago only for them to continually fob you off with excuses that "the case is pending"?

Advertisement