Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AP2 post primary - worth applying?

Options
  • 02-06-2021 7:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi there,

There's an AP2 post coming up in my school (primary) and I'm trying to decide whether to apply. I've been in the school a while, have done plenty of 'extras' and have been nudged towards it by a few colleagues.

I would love to be part of shaping the direction of the school (it's newly amalgamated and a bit in flux) but I don't know if the extra duties are worth my time for the money that's involved.

To be clear, I have no interest in becoming a principal down the line and dedicate quite a lot of time to creative pursuits outside of school. The school is also very big so the duties would be amplified by that. I would mostly want to take it on because I care about the direction of the school and for additional pay.

Has anyone in primary done AP2 duties and thought it was worth it? Or is the extra workload for little pay a waste of time if you don't see yourself moving on to AP1/Deputy/Principal at some point in the future?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

It's not necessarily worth the money but it sounds like you want it for the right reason, are already doing the extras and want to steer the school in a particular direction. Always a good sign if other members of staff are encouraging you. If you are already doing a bit extra it's a nice bit of recognition and can give you a flavour of the steps up the ladder and the effect they have on you and your relationship with colleagues.

It's pensionable too, which is always good.

Do you have further ambition?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Nucky87

Thanks! I do feel like the responsibilities would be a good deal extra; there's a lot of expectations and pressure within the school's current culture. I like to think I'm good at what I do, but circulars/schemes/policies and that sort of thing give me a headache. I'm more of a people person.

Pension is a great point! I could make extra money doing grinds, but that would only be during term-time and isn't pensionable. It also doesn't count for experience.

I've no further ambition in teaching to be honest. I spend a lot of time on the creative side of things outside of school, so I'd like that to be my focus down the line, along with my teaching career. I'm not sure if these sorts of posts should be kept for people who want to go further eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭am_zarathustra

There are fewer people at every level as you move up so not everyone ends up moving up the ladder. Don't feel like that's the only reason. I'm AP1 and I'm pretty happy with this level of responsibility. Like yourself I'd have my own interests outside of the curriculum etc. I don't mind the paperwork, I'm not sure anyone loves it. It's also good for a mortgage etc but again very dependent on where you are in life.

I'd recommend going for it if I were you, it's actually of benefit to have people whos only interest is just helping the school move in a positive direction. If you get it and you don't enjoy it you can always resign too, definitely worth applying I'd think.

The workload varies post to post too, if you are already involved in an area it'll probably be that or something close if the principal is reasonable.

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭noplacehere

Just to clarify for others AP2 has no time allowance at second level. And AP1s only get time off depending on the type of school you are teaching in

Advertisement