Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Thoughts on Apple Carplay/Android Auto

Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭ MillField

I am looking into upgrading my 10 year old car and notice that a lot of cars now support Apple Carplay/Android Auto.

For anyone that uses either system regularly, would it be a deal breaker to not have this technology in your car? Is it really worth it or something that you use rarely? I assume its main strength is being able to use the like of Google Maps instead of in-built navigation.

Thanks for any responses.

Comments

• If you use Spotify on your phone, then it’s a game changer

• As above, if you regularly use Spotify and Google maps it can be a very nice addition to a car. Takes away all the fiddling with the phone.

• google maps, spotify, google music or just media monkey with all your music on an sd card if you don't want to use up your data. hard to go back

• MillField wrote: »
    I am looking into upgrading my 10 year old car and notice that a lot of cars now support Apple Carplay/Android Auto.

For anyone that uses either system regularly, would it be a deal breaker to not have this technology in your car? Is it really worth it or something that you use rarely? I assume its main strength is being able to use the like of Google Maps instead of in-built navigation.

I’ve a system that supports both,pioneer SPH 250 DAB , for me apple play is way smoother, but google maps is better than apples native maps,
    Sat nav Bluetooth, and Spotify is superb, and I wouldn’t do without them

• colm_mcm wrote: »
    If you use Spotify on your phone, then it’s a game changer

Agreed

• Advertisement

• MillField wrote: »

I’ve a system that supports both,pioneer SPH 250 DAB , for me apple play is way smoother, but google maps is better than apples native maps,
    Sat nav Bluetooth, and Spotify is superb, and I wouldn’t do without them

• The thing is - most car infotainment is going to age terribly. I’ve paid stupid money for nav systems on new cars in the past that don’t have a fraction of the functionality, the timely updates or the ease of use of AA/CarPlay.

• The thing is - most car infotainment is going to age terribly. I’ve paid stupid money for nav systems on new cars in the past that don’t have a fraction of the functionality, the timely updates or the ease of use of AA/CarPlay.

That’s the same for phones , tv laptops etc etc,I’ll have another few years of decent sounds.hands free calls,and great connectivity with my present system and will whip it out and put it into my next motor ( kept the original)

Advertisement