Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Locks

Options
  • 01-06-2021 11:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hello there.

Im moving into an apartment (duplex type set up) weekend after next and there’s no secure parking in the block.

I’m planning to park my motorbike (CBF600) on the path outside the apt at the bottom of the steps from the duplex and lock it with a chain to a lamppost that’s right there.

I have been living in a house over the past 15 months where I’ve been able to lock the bike to metal bars at the front door porch (basic Oxford lock). I’ve also got a battery operated grip lock and an immobiliser. I always keep it covered as well.

Given it will be now be somewhat exposed, the plan is to buy a heavy duty chain lock and leave it at the lamppost at all times (hoping there won’t be an issue with management company) and am looking for recommendations.

I can’t seem to find anywhere online that sells Almax locks in Dublin and am now looking at the Abus heavy duty locks in Megabikes.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience of using them? Could I expect that an Abus would do the job ?

Or is there anything else out there that I should be looking at?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭goblin59

https://www.louis.ie/artikel/abus-alarm-lock-and-loop-detecto-8077-12-ks120/10002707?filter_article_number=10002707

that's the lock I use on the bike. just make sure it fits your disc first though.

lock up both wheels if your outside in Dublin and get a tracking device fitted too

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

Just bought an Almax series 3 chain and squire lock for touring this year, had to be the series 3 for the mobility but if I wanted it for at home the series IV and V chains are just mental how secure they are. There really is nothing better out there if you need to protect you bike at home, give Alex a call in Almax and he will look after you....you will get hit by customs (mine was €55) but the lock and chain is just amazing.

You cant beat some piece of mind when it comes to bike security.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Zhome

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    Just bought an Almax series 3 chain and squire lock for touring this year, had to be the series 3 for the mobility but if I wanted it for at home the series IV and V chains are just mental how secure they are. There really is nothing better out there if you need to protect you bike at home, give Alex a call in Almax and he will look after you....you will get hit by customs (mine was €55) but the lock and chain is just amazing.

You cant beat some piece of mind when it comes to bike security.

Thanks for the reply.

As a matter of interest how long did it take to arrive?

I assume it’s coming direct from the UK?

• Advertisement

Zhome wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.

As a matter of interest how long did it take to arrive?

I assume it’s coming direct from the UK?

Took about a week, no big deal. You will get an email from DHL saying you have to pay XYZ amount prior to delivery so no hold ups.

Just be careful with the type of lock you are getting. You can get locks as small as 0.8 meters but they are useless out and about as you can wrap that around anything and that is the key. You need to chain it to an object so length is needed. I got the 2m chain so it gives me a good deal of wiggle room, anything above the series 3 is too heavy for bringing on the bike (the chain links are mental big) but for home security fill you boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Took about a week, no big deal. You will get an email from DHL saying you have to pay XYZ amount prior to delivery so no hold ups.

Just be careful with the type of lock you are getting. You can get locks as small as 0.8 meters but they are useless out and about as you can wrap that around anything and that is the key. You need to chain it to an object so length is needed. I got the 2m chain so it gives me a good deal of wiggle room, anything above the series 3 is too heavy for bringing on the bike (the chain links are mental big) but for home security fill you boots.

TBF I've brought my Series IV around with me (even touring) so it IS possible, but I wouldn't recommend it if you can avoid it. They're serious lumps!

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Melted

have this ordered, you can use it as a disc loc or put it through a chain. Even looking at it you can tell it would be awkward to grind

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocial/reviews/products/security/scooter-security-and-disc-locks/pragmasis-roundlock-disc-lock-review

I got the SQUIRE DISC LOCK from amazon last month it was half price as it was a horrible green colour. The rest of the colours were 90 sterling.....but its a serious disc lock.

Its the Henry Squire Eiger Mini disc lock.....performance is excellent by all reviewers.

TBF I've brought my Series IV around with me (even touring) so it IS possible, but I wouldn't recommend it if you can avoid it. They're serious lumps!

Yeah I suppose a day or two here and there but I really would not personally lag it away for 2 weeks, with fully loaded panniers and top box.....it would be so hard to manage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,118 ✭✭✭✭Jimmy Bottlehead

Yeah I suppose a day or two here and there but I really would not personally lag it away for 2 weeks, with fully loaded panniers and top box.....it would be so hard to manage.

You are correct sir. I did about 4 days with it and while it worked, I'd be tempted to bring my less effective but lighter chain and lock next time.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Zhome

Ended up buying the Oxford Beast lock as I needed it in a hurry.

Seems very solid and I’ve watched a few videos online where people couldn’t get through it with an ankle grinder.

Have a decent electronic grip lock and an immobiliser as well. Might get one of the disc locks referenced above as well for good luck.

Thanks to all for the replies

Advertisement