Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

copper beech hedge fungus/insect

Options
  • 01-06-2021 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭

New hedge doing very well but a few plants have an alien white critter on leaves. It looks fuzzy, pure white fluffy. But on close look, it's moving. Alarming, strange.
    Anyho without a confirmation picture, what and how to purge
    Picture to follow later for gory detail

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

Whitefly perhaps from the Google. Ok I can make peace with them

• Registered Users Posts: 10,554 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Beech are prone to White fly on new leaves without untoward damage. You could wash them off with a hose if it a young hedge that needs all the help it can get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭biddyearley

Simple spray of water with washing up liquid. The detergent halps break down the wax protection of the fly and it dies from desiccation.

I'll get cracking. Ugly little divils.
    I need a farm of ladybirds

Have hedge a decent Lidl W5 crap washing up liquid yesterday.
    Tough to get exactly under leaf where the critters live mostly.
    2 hours today of leaf blast hosing has my back in bits but critters on the run. Hopefully I'm not moving them from one plant to the next, but some small satisfaction in blasting them.
    Trying to be nice to the caterpillars and spiders. Would be nice for them to aid the cause. I'm hedging my bets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

What about planting umbellifers nearby like yarrow or queen Ann’s lace to attract natural predators like lacewings and hoverflies?

Advertisement