Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stopping the grass around young trees, manure/bark down in Spring

Options
  • 01-06-2021 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭

We had copper beach trees for hedges planted in November. The lad said to apply farm manure and then mulch in the spring. We did this, painstakingly tearing away the grass (took 2 days for all the hedge) around the base of the trees first. We did not do the this all the way to the verge (see below).

Now the grass has come back of course, up around the bark in places...the bark is still there...a picture is worth a 1000 words:

Gxs5Hn.jpg

I have read about putting newspaper down is that the best option? Is there a tool that will help rip out the grass but not intervene with the tree roots?

Advice much appreciated!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭elperello

You could cut old carpet into strips and use that, it will last better than newspaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 392 ✭✭Fionne

You could use newspaper or cardboard to suppress the grass growth and then put the bark mulch over it - it would all decompose with time. I'm not a hedge expert by the way so don't take my advice as gospel. The essential thing is to feed the plants, if you're ok with looking at the grass growing around the plants, is there even a need at all to remove it? Surely the roots of the hedge will go much deeper than the grass so it's a cosmetic thing more than anything.

This could be dealt with a few ways.

Firstly you need 3 -4 inches of mulch for it to be effective

I have in the past cut 20 three inch lengths of plastic drainage pipe 1-2 inch diameter. Cut a slot in them so you can put them around the stem and then you can use a strimmer without damaging the plants. Cardboard and heavy mulch. Move the pipes on when you have 20 plants done.

You can also spray the grass. Cut the top off a plastic bottle and place the nozzle if the sprayer through it. Stuff some material between the Lance and the mouth of the bottle and secure with tape. This will stop drift.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭boardtc

I love the plastic pipe tip, that is awesome @suresanders! Will give it a go.
    Cardboard interesting! That sounds like a good solution.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,576 ✭✭✭garv123

I had this issue with my new hedging. I cleared away all the grass carefully with a digging hoe.
    To stop it coming back I cut a 300mm disk with a 40mm hole, and slot to slot the hedge through, out of 3mm scrap plastic at work.

Luckily I had access to a CNC router :D but it could be repeated with cardboard.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,758 ✭✭✭CelticRambler

boardtc wrote: »
    Cardboard interesting! That sounds like a good solution.

Most ready-to-cook non-frozen pizzas come on a piece of heavy cardboard that's perfect for this! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭JPup

A second vote here to do nothing! I'd certainly opt for that before resorting to spraying chemicals about the place.

The copper beech will grow just fine despite the grass. If we get a drought, you might be extra conscious to water them, but otherwise they should be grand. You're already giving them manure so they should have plenty of nutrients. Do you have any reason to believe the plants aren't thriving as they are?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,258 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I'm a bit inclined to agree that I don't entirely go along with the 'clear the grass' notion. I put trees down that I cleared a space for, and others that I actually replaced the turf up to the trunk/stem. I am not seeing any difference. Aesthetically they look better without an overgrown fringe but that can be cut. A forestry group giving out young trees (very young) suggested leaving all growth around them as it offered protection from rabbits etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭boardtc

JPup wrote: »
    A second vote here to do nothing! I'd certainly opt for that before resorting to spraying chemicals about the place.

The copper beech will grow just fine despite the grass. If we get a drought, you might be extra conscious to water them, but otherwise they should be grand. You're already giving them manure so they should have plenty of nutrients. Do you have any reason to believe the plants aren't thriving as they are?

No, I don't. I guess it's an aesthetics thing, the picture is at the front of the house and it does not look particularly tidy.

As an aside there are about 3 or 4 green ones that got planted in error it seems. Will look at swapping them out next winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭odoliam

more bark mulch, up to 3-4inches, not directly up against the beech plants though, bit of leftover carboard underneath too won't do much harm
    as the grass is in growing season, lack of light should kill it quicker

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

When I had planted a mixed hedgerow I mulched it with grass cuttings for the first few years. The cover killed the grass/weeds, the nutrients released benefited the hedge and it was also helping to feed the local wildlife, as it was constantly being rooted through and tossed about, having to be swept back in regularly.

Advertisement