Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlow Outdoor pubs 7th June

Options
  • 31-05-2021 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭

Seen a couple of threads for this on other counties. So what pubs in Carlow will reopen for outdoors. I presume the Dinn RI,Tullys and the Teach Dolmen will reopen. Anyone know of others, assuming bookings for all

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Reddys, Carpenters maybe , with their yard space ?

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭sharky86

Reddys, Carpenters maybe , with their yard space ?
    Uwings

• Registered Users Posts: 23 GreenRdBoy

Carpe Diem opening on 7th June

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

GreenRdBoy wrote: »
    Carpe Diem opening on 7th June

I presume via the yard up the side alley?

Irishmans; can they open? It's their car-park isn't it? So might be an option to do something there? Or in the smoking shelter or does that not count in guidelines?

Front page report in Nationalist this week indicates some unease about some parking spaces out front of the 4 Upper Tullow St. Pubs being given over to outdoor dining/drinking from local business people; I can totally see where they're coming from; only saving grace might be that during the week one bar doesn't open til after one premises, which wasn't named, is closed or almost shut anyway.

That said 3 of the 4 have yard space for the purpose of outdoor dining/drinking.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭onrail

Any more updates on the list of places opening? Can't bloody wait!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

Teach and Carpenters have new outdoor areas, The Terrace, Reddys, Ewings, Carpe, Morrisseys, Diceys, Barracks, and looks like La Boheme all opening too. Probably a few more that haven't announced. I'd imagine Salt will try something.

Nokia6230i wrote: »
    I presume via the yard up the side alley?

Irishmans; can they open? It's their car-park isn't it? So might be an option to do something there? Or in the smoking shelter or does that not count in guidelines?

Front page report in Nationalist this week indicates some unease about some parking spaces out front of the 4 Upper Tullow St. Pubs being given over to outdoor dining/drinking from local business people; I can totally see where they're coming from; only saving grace might be that during the week one bar doesn't open til after one premises, which wasn't named, is closed or almost shut anyway.

That said 3 of the 4 have yard space for the purpose of outdoor dining/drinking.....

Slightly off topic: I've only lived here for about 18 months but anytime I'm in town I can't help but think the whole place would be better served if they pedestrianised Tullow St.

Lots of empty units there that could be turned into small cafes or restaurants with outdoor areas.

Back on topic: is Ewings the biggest of the outdoor areas? I know Tullys have a smoking area but can't imagine it's too big?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

The terrace would be the biggest. Barracks has plenty of space too. Teach outdoor is huge but mostly used as a restaurant for the time being. Carpe has a pretty big outdoor area too. Morrisseys have a large back yard which i assume is what they'll be using.

Pedestrianisation of lower Tullow street for bars and restaurants has been spoken about for at least a few decades. The most the council have done (in my recollection) is pedestrianise it during the day time, to encourage more foot traffic to the shops etc, but as Tullow street is no longer the town centre that isn't needed any more.
    It would be great, but I don't think either the council or business owners would agree. They're already complaining about using a few parking spots up at Reddys, Raceys, and Teach, so blocking off a whole street would send them over the edge.

The town has a lot of potential, but the council have really lacked any forward thinking, in the past.
    The future plans (Carlow 2040 or whatever it's called) look excellent, but all it is, is nice drawings. They couldn't even agree to connect potato market with Fairgreen, via a new road / walkway through the old Superquinn to Barrack street. Objections objections objections, as with any proposed development in Carlow, unless it's on the outskirts of town...

The terrace would be the biggest. Barracks has plenty of space too. Teach outdoor is huge but mostly used as a restaurant for the time being. Carpe has a pretty big outdoor area too. Morrisseys have a large back yard which i assume is what they'll be using.

Pedestrianisation of lower Tullow street for bars and restaurants has been spoken about for at least a few decades. The most the council have done (in my recollection) is pedestrianise it during the day time, to encourage more foot traffic to the shops etc, but as Tullow street is no longer the town centre that isn't needed any more.
    It would be great, but I don't think either the council or business owners would agree. They're already complaining about using a few parking spots up at Reddys, Raceys, and Teach, so blocking off a whole street would send them over the edge.

The town has a lot of potential, but the council have really lacked any forward thinking, in the past.
    The future plans (Carlow 2040 or whatever it's called) look excellent, but all it is, is nice drawings. They couldn't even agree to connect potato market with Fairgreen, via a new road / walkway through the old Superquinn to Barrack street. Objections objections objections, as with any proposed development in Carlow, unless it's on the outskirts of town...

Thanks I forgot about the outdoor area in the barracks. Never heard of the terrace. Must have a look

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

From what I've heard, Doyle's (Railway House) in Bagenalstown have converted almost all of their carpark for outdoor dining.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Delirah

The Lord Bagenal will have a large outdoor area by the river

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭votecounts

I was surprised on Monday to see Wetherspoon open, seems most pubs will try to make a go of it

Are Wetherspoons using the roof smoking area?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

votecounts wrote: »
    I was surprised on Monday to see Wetherspoon open, seems most pubs will try to make a go of it

Me too; wasn't their smoking area upstairs deemed non-compliant by Carlow Fire & Rescue Services?

It was closed as there was more drugs being smoked there than cigarettes.

Advertisement