Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Modem F3000 as Accessing Point or Bridge for a different router

Options
  • 31-05-2021 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi all,

Been troubled by the signal strength with the F3000 modem that comes with the Eir package (100M DSL line) so I got a xiaomi AX3600 router that will hopefully cover 2nd floor.

Problem is I have tried turning the F3000 into bridge mode with xiaomi plugged into the modem, it didn't work so I had to reset the modem. Cannot find any threads about setting the Eir modem as accessing point neither so now I am stuck.

I have used the router on a Sky modem and it worked easily, Eir just always seems more complicated so any help on this would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭lin33829

Or alternative if any technician is available to either set up this router on site or can wire the 2 upper floors with ethernet ports, I would be willing to pay for the services.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

lin33829 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Been troubled by the signal strength with the F3000 modem that comes with the Eir package (100M DSL line) so I got a xiaomi AX3600 router that will hopefully cover 2nd floor.

Problem is I have tried turning the F3000 into bridge mode with xiaomi plugged into the modem, it didn't work so I had to reset the modem. Cannot find any threads about setting the Eir modem as accessing point neither so now I am stuck.

I have used the router on a Sky modem and it worked easily, Eir just always seems more complicated so any help on this would be greatly appreciated!
    I would recommend you leave the F3000 in it's default router mode, and only add additional devices in operating Access Point mode. Eir have WiFi 6 "Smart WiFi hubs" that work in tandem with the F3000 to extend coverage. You can add as many as you need to give perfect coverage throughout your home, and you will have seamless handoff between zones. They will work as a mesh or using Ethernet cable if you have it. Better solution. If you want to use a different make of device, only use them in access point mode. Don't do bridge mode on the F3000, unless you really have a good knowledge of networking protocols.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 spreader

I agree with previuos reply. leave the eircom router in router mode. use the local ip as your default gateway address. make sure all devicies use this address.
    Set up your new "router" in basic ap mode. Setting up dhcp if needed on your eircom router or alt device. I find the eircom hardware very good and has a lot of functions that allow you to configer many services.

Steve R

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Galaxybytes

lin33829 wrote: »
    Hi all,

I've been looking into getting a better router than the one EIR supplies. While looking online I did read something about puting the EIR router in bridge mode and your new router needs to support VLAN. You have to set a VLAN tag to the value of 10. If you can find that setting in your new router it might work for you but I could be wrong I believe some routers don't support VLAN 10 but it's worth a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 597 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

I've been looking into getting a better router than the one EIR supplies. While looking online I did read something about puting the EIR router in bridge mode and your new router needs to support VLAN. You have to set a VLAN tag to the value of 10. If you can find that setting in your new router it might work for you but I could be wrong I believe some routers don't support VLAN 10 but it's worth a shot.
    If you are trying to improve WiFi coverage, you should add additional access points around your home rather than replacing the router. Most homes need more than one device to provide seamless 5GHz coverage. You should consider adding mesh devices. The Eir F3000 supports Mesh natively, so you can add additional Eir Smart WiFi hubs to extend coverage. Most homes need 2-3 access points to provide good coverage. If you have Cat 5/6 cabling you can wire them back to the F3000. Otherwise they will mesh wirelessly. The Smart WiFi hubs are WiFi 6 spec, and reasonably priced. Alternatively, you could opt for a 3rd party mesh, such as TPLink Deco series. If you go 3rd party, you will need to buy one extra device, and switch off WiFi in your F3000. Removing or bridging ISP router is not a good idea, unless you have an in-depth knowledge of network security and routing protocols.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 nismo33

Hi, I've been having a problem with my f3000, I'm getting gigabit through the line any time I do a speed test but the WiFi is shocking, it can fluctuate from 46 down to 3, I've changed the modem to another new f3000 to no avail, when I phoned eir about it I was told they switched off the 5g and that was probably it (I don't see how that was) and if I wanted to sort the problem to go away and purchase a mesh system, I have several routers connected through a switcher box to the the f3000 and they give the same speed over wi-fi, my question is, if I switch the f3000 over to AP only will that solve the problem, I used to have 100mb before this and never had a problem with the wifi, since they updated the routers the WiFi is shocking, any advice on this would be greatly appreciated

Advertisement