Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Change of Career - Advice Needed

Options
  • 31-05-2021 4:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭

I'm not sure if this is the correct forum, and if not please remove this post.

I am a primary school teacher with nearly 10 years experience. I really enjoy the job, but it has gotten somewhat monotonous. I have done all the class levels, completed a Masters degree, and I still feel like I'm only going through the motions these days. I know this isn't fair on my students or myself, and I want to take a few years away from the classroom to embrace a new challenge.

I am wondering what jobs would best be suited for the skills developed as a primary school teacher. I have lead a number of initiatives in the school which would have involved copious amounts of managing and leading people, but I don't think this would hold up to someone already working in the business field or with business degrees.

I have no problem working long hours, summers etc. (didn't get into teaching for the holidays, it was just a perk!). I would love something that would be about my current salary (50,000), or slightly more would be a huge perk!

So yeah, what jobs would my fairly limited skill set as a teacher best be suited to, would people think?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭JackTC

What are your interests?

I have no problem working long hours, summers etc. (didn't get into teaching for the holidays, it was just a perk!). I would love something that would be about my current salary (50,000), or slightly more would be a huge perk!

Put your salary expectations to one side, for starters, and focus on sectors or careers that you would like to pursue.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If you have a flair for it, then IT is a good option. But obviously, you'd have to undertake training.
    It's difficult to envisage many careers that are directly transferable from primary school teaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

I’m struggling to think of something that either doesn’t require retraining or working your way up from the bottom of a salary scale. You say you don’t mind the holidays but you might take that back when you are fighting with colleagues to get a week off over the summer and two days at Christmas!
    What areas of work are you interested in? Would you be willing to do a second masters? I’ve seen some teachers studying for a health promotion masters then working with schools to support the health of students. The salary is lower though and more travel involved. Not that many jobs available either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭JackTC

You could contact St. Pats, Hibernian and Mary Immaculate College about lecturing in primary teaching.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wonderstruck

Something related to Education Policy could work, move into a role in an education board? Civil service?

You could consider looking into making moves towards more Head Teacher work, do you do that? Do you like management, that could help with career planning not just that other people know more?

School inspector? Again you wouldnt be at square 1.

Another career that comes to mind that a lot of teachers do is become a TD ;) (I jest).

Advertisement