Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best credit card for car fuel

Options
  • 31-05-2021 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭

Hi folks, I moved to the Republic from the North in November and have now been working here for 6 months so should hopefully be eligible to get accepted for a credit card application.

I am looking for a credit card that I will use to pay for fuelling my car. I intend to pay off the balance in full each month so interest rates isn't really an issue. I don't know what the minimum limit is for a credit card but I'd only be looking for something in the €500-1000 range.

This would allow me to build up a bit of a footprint in terms of credit rating/history here in the Republic which could be important as I'll be thinking about a mortgage in the next 12-18 months. Can anyone recommend a suitable credit card for the type of spending I intend to do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,266 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Any credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Tallaght_Sale

think AIB do a cashback one don't they?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Best one to get would be avantcard. They do cashback, and then give access to special offers, one of which is a Circle K fuel card which give 4c off per litre.

Don't worry about a credit score.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭glen123

https://www.avantmoney.ie/credit-cards/rewardplus

Avant Money card

Ireland’s best cashback rate of 1.25%

Starter bonus of €30 to get you up and running

• Registered Users Posts: 25,387 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

KJK1LL3R wrote: »
    I don't know what the minimum limit is for a credit card but I'd only be looking for something in the €500-1000 range.

You need headroom for when you rent a car or book a hotel. A lot of the time, there will be an invisible charge or 'hold' against your credit card account which you will not see as a transaction in a monthly bill but which effectively reduces your spending limit.

If I was getting a new credit card, I'd ask for a credit limit of at least €2,000 more than the biggest balance I'd expect to run up with normal spending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭KJK1LL3R

So my application got turned down by Avant. This is the 2nd time I've been rejected for a credit card application. When I first moved to Ireland I was rejected by KBC on the grounds that I hadn't been working here for at least 6 months, and now Avant have turned me down despite the fact that I've been here for 7 months now. So I think I'll just have to do without a credit card for the foreseeable future. Perhaps I need to be living and working here for at least a year before I'd get accepted for a credit card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭garrettod

KJK1LL3R wrote: »
    So my application got turned down by Avant. This is the 2nd time I've been rejected for a credit card application. When I first moved to Ireland I was rejected by KBC on the grounds that I hadn't been working here for at least 6 months, and now Avant have turned me down despite the fact that I've been here for 7 months now. So I think I'll just have to do without a credit card for the foreseeable future. Perhaps I need to be living and working here for at least a year before I'd get accepted for a credit card.

Hi,

What reason did Avant give for declining you - they may want to see a longer history ( 12mths? ).

Are you getting paid into an Irish bank account - if so, might be prudent to try the same bank for a credit card, pointing out that you are an existing customer.

You can always movr card providers at a later date, even if you don't initially sign up with one of the cash back card providers.

Thanks,

G.

Advertisement