Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Repairing a Broken Rear Axle

• 30-05-2021 10:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭ MDR

Folks,

When investigating my wobbly Freewheel, I found the cause was a Bent Skewer and a Broken Hollow Axle. At the same time, I also set about lubing the front bearings, and I managed to wreck the front dust caps in the process. You can see a photo of this here.

No problem I said - I ordered a replacement, that looked like it came with dust caps, but turned out it was a different kind of bearing nut entirely.

So now I stuck and am a bit conflicted...

Part of me thinks it would be simpler at this point to replace the wheels. There is an obvious replacements from Decathlon - ones with a screw on Freewheel - but I was hoping for something a bit better, I couldn't see any equivalent on bikeinn or bike24.

The other option is try again to replace the axle, but find a replacement with the correct dust caps this time. This appears to be pretty hard, there is an bewildering array of options between bikeinn, bike24 and amazon ... I have spent some serious time on it, and I can't see any obvious replacements. I would have thought all these things would seriously standardized? The front axle is 110mm by 8mm, the rear is 9.5mm by 145mm. ?

Any suggestions.

Ray K

Advertisement