Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repairing a Broken Rear Axle

Options
  • 30-05-2021 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭

Folks,

When investigating my wobbly Freewheel, I found the cause was a Bent Skewer and a Broken Hollow Axle. At the same time, I also set about lubing the front bearings, and I managed to wreck the front dust caps in the process. You can see a photo of this here.

No problem I said - I ordered a replacement, that looked like it came with dust caps, but turned out it was a different kind of bearing nut entirely.

So now I stuck and am a bit conflicted...

Part of me thinks it would be simpler at this point to replace the wheels. There is an obvious replacements from Decathlon - ones with a screw on Freewheel - but I was hoping for something a bit better, I couldn't see any equivalent on bikeinn or bike24.

The other option is try again to replace the axle, but find a replacement with the correct dust caps this time. This appears to be pretty hard, there is an bewildering array of options between bikeinn, bike24 and amazon ... I have spent some serious time on it, and I can't see any obvious replacements. I would have thought all these things would seriously standardized? The front axle is 110mm by 8mm, the rear is 9.5mm by 145mm. ?

Any suggestions.

Ray K

Advertisement