Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saving for kid

Options
  • 30-05-2021 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can point me direction of the best account to open for a child. I simply want to save money for college/ when they finish school.

Ta

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,280 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone can point me direction of the best account to open for a child. I simply want to save money for college/ when they finish school.

Ta

Most banks offer kids accounts, be warned the interest rate is normally pretty poor.

From an AML ease perspective maybe go with your main bank as they can at least leverage the AML they have on file for you, you'll then just need a birth cert for your child.

If you are a Revolut user already then its even easier, they offer kids accounts you can open straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Pinoy adventure

The post office /state savings have the best return and easy too set up

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Ghetofarmulous

Thank you both for this. Perhaps I should open the account in my own name.m and give as inheritance. I plan to save 100 euro per month for foreseeable.

Thank you both for this. Perhaps I should open the account in my own name.m and give as inheritance. I plan to save 100 euro per month for foreseeable.

You have the 6 year monthly state savings plan in the post office with offers a good return.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,554 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

I'd also go for regular state savings for the best return at present and DIRT free. We did it for our kids and it produced a nice nest egg for them. Anything we invested with Insurance companies lost money over time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Have a look at savings products from life insurance and pensions companies. I wouldn't put money away every month in a non growth account for 10-20 years. Inflation could ravage the value of it over time. Rainy day fund for bank accounts, invest the rest in something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭RoryMurphyJnr

Credit Union is also a good idea.
    You could go down with them (depending on age) each week to save €5 or whatever your budget is.
    Gets them into the habit of regularly saving themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Be careful here. They will only repay by cheque, and the cheque will be in the names of all the parties on the account.

McGaggs wrote: »
    Be careful here. They will only repay by cheque, and the cheque will be in the names of all the parties on the account.

It wasn't rocket science to deposit the cheques and give the kids the money afterwards. The state savings include a ChildCare Plus account option.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

You have the 6 year monthly state savings plan in the post office with offers a good return.

I didn't know about his one. We've been putting childrens allowance directly into daughters credit union so we never see it

Might be worth changing to state savings as someone else mentioned it's DIRT exempt

• Advertisement

Jim_Hodge wrote: »
    It wasn't rocket science to deposit the cheques and give the kids the money afterwards. The state savings include a ChildCare Plus account option.

Just not very tax efficient.

I didn't know about his one. We've been putting childrens allowance directly into daughters credit union so we never see it

Might be worth changing to state savings as someone else mentioned it's DIRT exempt

Credit union won't give much interest in comparison too the child benefit state savings cert

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

The return will most likely still be less than inflation meaning you'll lose in real terms.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

I'd also go for regular state savings for the best return at present and DIRT free. We did it for our kids and it produced a nice nest egg for them. Anything we invested with Insurance companies lost money over time.

Risk assets, particularly equities, have always outperformed cash over time.

You were either poorly advised or your timing was too short term.

Risk assets, particularly equities, have always outperformed cash over time.

You were either poorly advised or your timing was too short term.

I've been investing for 40 years and while some equities did well many failed to deliver. If bad timing is that the value has dropped just when you need the funds then it may have been bad timing. It certainly could never have been considered short term though. Over time is very subjective, as the value is what it it at a particular moment in time.

If the OP wants long term but guaranteed return which is a means of keeping funds for a child's future use then a safe, tax free option may be best for them. Even small compound interest rates have an impact over time.

I've been investing for 40 years and while some equities did well many failed to deliver. If bad timing is that the value has dropped just when you need the funds then it may have been bad timing. It certainly could never have been considered short term though. Over time is very subjective, as the value is what it it at a particular moment in time.

If the OP wants long term but guaranteed return which is a means of keeping funds for a child's future use then a safe, tax free option may be best for them. Even small compound interest rates have an impact over time.

That's why diversification is vital. Punting on individual stocks can be quite risky I'd agree.

A guaranteed return which won't keep pace with inflation is a guaranteed loss in real terms.

Having said all that keeping 3 months net salary in cash is not a bad idea to cover an emergency.

That's why diversification is vital. Punting on individual stocks can be quite risky I'd agree.

A guaranteed return which won't keep pace with inflation is a guaranteed loss in real terms.

Having said all that keeping 3 months net salary in cash is not a bad idea to cover an emergency.

Let's keep some perspective. It's a parent wanting to put a monthly amount to one side for their child. This is saving not investing.

Let's keep some perspective. It's a parent wanting to put a monthly amount to one side for their child. This is saving not investing.

Putting money aside for a kid would likely have a timeframe of around 18 years. By not investing, the value of the money is reducing all the time. A decision to put the savings in a bank account is still an investment decision, although it is unlikely to be the best decision in these circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭downtheroad

Where would people recommend to invest children's allowance? Wife has an AVC with Zurich so called them about their Child's Savings Plus offer, but the adviser said not to use it because its in the child's name and he'd recommend investing in our own name so that we can decide how and when to use the money in the future.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,990 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

McGaggs wrote: »
    Putting money aside for a kid would likely have a timeframe of around 18 years. By not investing, the value of the money is reducing all the time. A decision to put the savings in a bank account is still an investment decision, although it is unlikely to be the best decision in these circumstances.

What would be the best option? I've an 11 year old who I'd like to start putting some money away for for when he's older (first car/college/help with deposit)

• Advertisement

To you it might be. To me it wouldn't.

There's no reason to prevent anyone putting relatively small monthly amounts into a unit linked life assurance plan.

Costs are reasonable and you can access a massive range of funds.

I did a load of these for SSIA clients a few years ago, and all of them outperformed cash - and interest rates were higher then too.

Advertisement