Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary Glazing Recommendation

Options
  • 29-05-2021 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi,

I need to get some sort of extra sound insulation for the windows in my house.

Did some searching and 'Secondary Glazing' seems to be a thing.
    Seems like it's something that will dull the noise a bit from things like passing traffic which is what I'm looking for.

Has anybody gotten sound insulation for their windows before?
    Who would you recommend for getting this job done?

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭Outkast_IRE

How are your rooms ventilated currently ?

Is it by window sash vents or by wall vents?

Secondary glazing is not a good solution in general in domestic situations. There is a good reason you dont see it very often.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 SurplusToys

How are your rooms ventilated currently ?

Is it by window sash vents or by wall vents?

Secondary glazing is not a good solution in general in domestic situations. There is a good reason you dont see it very often.

I’m pretty sure it’s by window sash.
    What do you think would be a better solution for domestic noise insulation?

I’m pretty sure it’s by window sash.
    What do you think would be a better solution for domestic noise insulation?
    Well first off you need your ventilation. So you cant install a solution that will block that ventilation. That is percisely what the secondary glazing will do in your scenario and poor ventilation does measurably impact sleep quality, health and can cause mold and ventilation issues.

Be it sash vents or wall vents they will both allow noise into the property

I assume you own the property if you are willing to spend money on it ?

The top solution would be to change out the windows to a triple glazing system with no sash vent and install a mechanical ventilation system with noise attenuation.

Most other options have mixed results at best.

If your sash vents and windows are in the closed position does the noise measurably decrease from outside ?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 SurplusToys

Well first off you need your ventilation. So you cant install a solution that will block that ventilation. That is percisely what the secondary glazing will do in your scenario and poor ventilation does measurably impact sleep quality, health and can cause mold and ventilation issues.

Be it sash vents or wall vents they will both allow noise into the property

I assume you own the property if you are willing to spend money on it ?

The top solution would be to change out the windows to a triple glazing system with no sash vent and install a mechanical ventilation system with noise attenuation.

Most other options have mixed results at best.

If your sash vents and windows are in the closed position does the noise measurably decrease from outside ?

Yeah I own the house and don’t mind spending money to improve noise insulation.

There’s not much difference in noise with the sash vents closed.

Yeah I own the house and don’t mind spending money to improve noise insulation.

There’s not much difference in noise with the sash vents closed.
    It's a hard one to give you definitive answers on to be honest.

I have given you the rolls Royce solution but even that may or may not be enough depending on the sound levels and power outside .

Some people also find big thick curtains with an acoustic type lining can help. How would you feel about using a white noise generator ? Many people living in city centres find these great for blocking out ambient noise.

• Advertisement
Advertisement