Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Finasteride for hair loss in Ireland?

• 28-05-2021 6:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭

My hair is definitely thinning on top and I want to do something with it before it gets really bad. Noticed it the other day and on closer inspection it seems a lot worse than I thought. Where can you get Finasteride in Ireland? How much does it cost? Really struggling with it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭manshay

Finasteride is available on prescription. You could visit your GP or use an online doctor service. A script can be sent to you directly or to your local pharmacy.
    There a side effects associated with it, check out hpra for details.
    You must continue to take the medication it is not a permanent solution.
    Fortunately a generic version of the 1mg strength has become available in Ireland which will help reduce your costs.
    Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Costs about €45 for a 6 month prescription.
    There's side effects associated with it. Most notably sexual side effects. Studies show it's 1-2% chance of side effects.
    I'm using it for about 3.5 months and can already see a big difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭zeebre12

GiftofGab wrote: »
    Costs about €45 for a 6 month prescription.
    There's side effects associated with it. Most notably sexual side effects. Studies show it's 1-2% chance of side effects.
    I'm using it for about 3.5 months and can already see a big difference.

My hair is thinning at the front/top of my head and it is becoming really noticeable. Where your hair was thinning did it just stop it from getting any worse (stall it) or did you actually see an improvement in hair growth in the area where it is thinning?
    Also how much of the tablet do you take a day? I read somewhere where some people just take a quarter of a tablet every 2 days instead of every day as it works the same if you take it every day/every 2 days? (Also they say it should less the risk of any side effects) Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭manshay

zeebre12 wrote: »
    Also how much of the tablet do you take a day? I read somewhere where some people just take a quarter of a tablet every 2 days instead of every day as it works the same if you take it every day/every 2 days? (Also they say it should less the risk of any side effects) Thanks

The dosage for hair loss treatment is 1mg daily. The 1mg tablet has only recently become available in Ireland.
    Previously we could order a UK or European Branded "Propecia" 1mg tablet which was very expensive, so patients often took a half or a quarter of a 5mg tablet which was much cheaper. (the 5mg daily dose is used to reduce the size of the prostate)

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Yeahyeah42

I stopped taking it didn’t like the side effects.

• Advertisement

Yeahyeah42 wrote: »
    I stopped taking it didn’t like the side effects.

What side effects did you have? What are you doing now?

Hi..just wondering can someone please help me out. I noticed a month ago that my hair was getting very thin on the top of my head and I could see my scalp (never noticed this before). I researched online and it seems I have MPB. I then got a prescription of Finasteride and began taking them 4 days ago. I also have a condition on called seborrheic dermatitis which affects my scalp. My hair is definitely shedding rapidly since I noticed it 4 weeks ago. Every time I was my hair there are loads of hair in the sink. Even now when I run my hands through my hair I am pulling out up to 5 hairs every time. I even tried just gently pulling hairs on the top of my head and they came out easily. I'm really distressed and am not sleeping well since I realised I have MPB. Mine seems to be rapid (I thought this was gradual over a few months/years). I'd say i could pull out all the hairs on the top of my head if i wanted to with ease. Will me having seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp affect Finasteride from working? I shampoo it with Selsun once a week and it seems to keep it at bay. This is having Finasteride shedding working already? I'm really scared if I leave it too long I will lose all my hair. I don't know if all this stress is making my MPB worse or what is happening? What do I do?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭HGVRHKYY

zeebre12 wrote: »
    Hi..just wondering can someone please help me out. I noticed a month ago that my hair was getting very thin on the top of my head and I could see my scalp (never noticed this before). I researched online and it seems I have MPB. I then got a prescription of Finasteride and began taking them 4 days ago. I also have a condition on called seborrheic dermatitis which affects my scalp. My hair is definitely shedding rapidly since I noticed it 4 weeks ago. Every time I was my hair there are loads of hair in the sink. Even now when I run my hands through my hair I am pulling out up to 5 hairs every time. I even tried just gently pulling hairs on the top of my head and they came out easily. I'm really distressed and am not sleeping well since I realised I have MPB. Mine seems to be rapid (I thought this was gradual over a few months/years). I'd say i could pull out all the hairs on the top of my head if i wanted to with ease. Will me having seborrheic dermatitis on my scalp affect Finasteride from working? I shampoo it with Selsun once a week and it seems to keep it at bay. This is having Finasteride shedding working already? I'm really scared if I leave it too long I will lose all my hair. I don't know if all this stress is making my MPB worse or what is happening? What do I do?

Post on tressless on reddit, you'll get much better help and reassurance on there

Advertisement