Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Main driver question

Options
  • 28-05-2021 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

Living at home currently and don't have my own car right now. I'm the main driver of my parents car (only two of us drive it) so should I be down as main driver for the insurance?
    Can I be main driver without being registered owner?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭diceyreilly

Living at home currently and don't have my own car right now. I'm the main driver of my parents car (only two of us drive it) so should I be down as main driver for the insurance?
    Thanks

No.
    A principal of insurance is you can’t insure something you don’t own.
    You can be down as the driver who drives it most but not the policy owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,387 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

A principal of insurance is you can’t insure something you don’t own.

You don't have to own it, you just need to have an insurable interest in it. A wife is considered to have an insurable interest in her husband's car.

If you inherit a house but probate is not yet complete, you have an insurable inerest in it, even though you don t yet own it. When I signed the contract to buy my house, even though the closing was a few months away, my solicitor told me I now had an insurable interest in it and should insure it.
    You can be down as the driver who drives it most but not the policy owner.

The policyholder is expected to be the main driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,387 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I'm the main driver of my parents car (only two of us drive it) so should I be down as main driver for the insurance?
    Thanks

If you want to be 100% legit, you should get the car registered in your name and take out a policy in your name. Then get the parent who drives down as a named driver.

But there's probably tens of thousands of children out there who are (effectively but not in name) the main drivers of a car owned and insured by one of their parents and they're covered as named drivers.

Advertisement