Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancelled sky - debt companying texting me

Options
  • 28-05-2021 12:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Last November I contacted SKY and advised them I was selling my house and would be cancelling my sky (having been a customer for 12 years)- I had a SKY + box, broadband. They said they would not cancel the tv subcription just the broadband and I told them I was moving and would not be needing it where I was moving too. I also e-mailed them and wrote to them. In December after what I considered to be the last payment due was paid I cancelled the direct debit. So far twice this year the new owner of the property has received letters from SKY and they have been returned marked no longer at this address. (I know the person who purchased my house).

Yesterday and today I have received texts from Resolvecall with a reference number telling me to ring them. I googled them and it appears they are a debt collection agency based in Scotland. Was wondering if anyone else has been in this situation.

thanks for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,535 ✭✭✭✭Sadb

Not with sky but with Virgin. I cancelled by phone, paid my last bill. They then took another payment from my account to I cancelled them with my bank.

Next month got an email saying I owed money and they couldn’t take payment, rang them again and told them that they actually owed me money and that I had cancelled months before. I didn’t hear anything else.

About a year later I got a letter from a debt collection agency saying they had bought the debt from virgin and I could go to some site. Went onto the site and only option was to pay, no option to mediate so I didn’t do anything else. They rang about another 2 months later and I explained everything on the phone and how Virgin actually owed me money and not the other way around and I haven’t heard anything since. That was about 2 years ago now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

shoes43 wrote: »
    Last November I contacted SKY and advised them I was selling my house and would be cancelling my sky (having been a customer for 12 years)- I had a SKY + box, broadband. They said they would not cancel the tv subcription just the broadband and I told them I was moving and would not be needing it where I was moving too. I also e-mailed them and wrote to them. In December after what I considered to be the last payment due was paid I cancelled the direct debit. So far twice this year the new owner of the property has received letters from SKY and they have been returned marked no longer at this address. (I know the person who purchased my house).

Yesterday and today I have received texts from Resolvecall with a reference number telling me to ring them. I googled them and it appears they are a debt collection agency based in Scotland. Was wondering if anyone else has been in this situation.

thanks for any help.

Is Sky+ box yours or like SkyQ loaned equipment, if it's loaned they're probably chasing for the costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭shoes43

Spook_ie wrote: »
    Is Sky+ box yours or like SkyQ loaned equipment, if it's loaned they're probably chasing for the costs.

The box is still in the house I sold but the new owners don't use SKY as they have Apple TV and broadband is not with Sky. Also the box is an outdated box (have had it Nov 2008 to Dec 2020) as Sky don't use the old Sky + box anymore its all SkyQ (afaik).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,535 ✭✭✭✭Sadb

Spook_ie wrote: »

No, the old boxes were bought off sky, not loaned.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

@shoes43

Did you perhaps renew your contract with Sky and thus the new contract had not run its course?
    If that is so then they want the balance of the contract.

If no renewed contract then you are clear of them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Clitheroekid

Debt collecting companies try phone.text,letter.I f these methods dont yield a response such as negoiating a settlement.further action depends on amount owed,is it worth the expense of legal action where there is no guarentee of payment.I wrote of debt while working for CMI because amount owed was too little or financial circumstances of debtor warranted no further action

@shoes43

Did you perhaps renew your contract with Sky and thus the new contract had not run its course?
    If that is so then they want the balance of the contract.

If no renewed contract then you are clear of them.

I don't recall renewing any contract with them - I only signed a form once and that was back in 2008 when I first signed up to Sky. I took out Broadband in March 2019 with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

You say you cancelled the direct debit. (I've never needed to cancel a direct debit)

Did you actually get a final bill with final bill written on it from sky?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,999 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I don't recall renewing any contract with them - I only signed a form once and that was back in 2008 when I first signed up to Sky. I took out Broadband in March 2019 with them.

You might have taken a broadband and Sky TV bundle at that time without even realising it.

In that case you are liable for the rest of the contract until it expires - for both services?.

You say you cancelled the direct debit. (I've never needed to cancel a direct debit)

Did you actually get a final bill with final bill written on it from sky?

I don't receive bills from sky they were on my sky account on line and I don't recall.

I checked my e-mails and I sent them am e-mail on Monday 23rd November advising them that I wanted to cancel all my sky packages and that I had also phoned on the 9th of november and spoke to an unhelp customer service representative. I got an e-mail back saying that a customer care representative would call me within 72 hours of receiving the e-mail and I never heard from anyone. i advised them in the e-mail that I would be cancelling the direct debit with my bank once the payment for the 19 Nov to 18Dec bill was taken and I did that. I also wrote to them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,860 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I don't receive bills from sky they were on my sky account on line and I don't recall.

I checked my e-mails and I sent them am e-mail on Monday 23rd November advising them that I wanted to cancel all my sky packages and that I had also phoned on the 9th of november and spoke to an unhelp customer service representative. I got an e-mail back saying that a customer care representative would call me within 72 hours of receiving the e-mail and I never heard from anyone. i advised them in the e-mail that I would be cancelling the direct debit with my bank once the payment for the 19 Nov to 18Dec bill was taken and I did that. I also wrote to them.
    It doesnt really matter how often you contacted them or how varied the methods of contact were. Id be guessing you were in a contract so you would have had to see out the contract or pay all outstanding money due for the remainder of the contract period.

So the answer is no, you never got a message to say your account is closed and clear. Basically you decided not to pay anymore whether they liked it or not as far as they are concerned.

You do owe them money most likely. Sorry for the bluntness but you can't just unilaterally pull out of a contract like that. And expect them to just bow down to your decision

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

you may be right if he had been with them 12 years and had not changed anything in the past 12 months, the contract had probably run it's course and he was entitled to cancel. You don't sign up to Sky for life.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,524 ✭✭✭Hoboo

OP

Ignore, rinse, repeat. The rest is hot air.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    you may be right if he had been with them 12 years and had not changed anything in the past 12 months, the contract had probably run it's course and he was entitled to cancel. You don't sign up to Sky for life.

But you still have to get some sort of acknowledgement of the cancellation. The op has none. He phoned and hung up then sent an email. Then he cancelled his payment instructions.

Not on sky's side here but if I want to close the book on something I chase a confirmation, don't just assume the idiots did it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Send a copy of the email and letter you sent along with days and times of calls.

That is unless you made contact with them at some point looking for a reduced rate. If you negotiate a reduced rate that restarts a 12 months contract.

But if they cancelled the broadband, I can't see how they could not cancel the TV.

Must be something else to the story

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭pinkfloyd34

They can give you an offer or if you call them to change something then it goes into a new 12 month contract, I think I changed something and then wanted to cancel but was told I was still in contract, I did eventually cancel but waited until the contract was up, I was with them 13 years but they do put you into new contracts in between, probably say it quickly on the phone and then you just say yes not thinking about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Spn744

Recently had a dispute with Sky over what was agreed on a new package, you can request a copy of all the recordings of correspondence that have taken place. It takes around 1 month to receive but once you do you get every phone recording as a Dropbox download and you can listen back and give them the date and time of when you said you want to cancel. If you did as the original post says “Call and request to cancel” then you are 100% going to get the fees removed but you need to call them and find out...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭dam099

But you still have to get some sort of acknowledgement of the cancellation. The op has none. He phoned and hung up then sent an email. Then he cancelled his payment instructions.

Not on sky's side here but if I want to close the book on something I chase a confirmation, don't just assume the idiots did it.

You don't need an acknowledgement if you are no longer in contract, its good to have but provided notice was properly served (which it appears the OP did do) the service should be terminated. Sky's failure to act on proper instructions cant be used to justify further charges.

Of course that changes if a valid contract term hadn't expired but the OP said they took broadband in March 2019, therefore any 12 or 18 month contract from that would be expired by November 2020.

Advertisement