Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

ECBI reports

• 28-05-2021 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ badgerhowlin

Hi,

I got a report of 19 calves that I'm thinking on buying.

There is a lot in the reports that are just not import to me
    the indexes\traits I'm picking are Fert index of the mother and the prot% of the calf
    and the current PR%

The figures I want to see is
    Fert Above €70
    last years PR% above 3.6
    Keep a half an eye out on Prot% in milk traits
    Prot% any here above 0.1%

What figures do other people concentrate on
    I don't look at the EBI value because I'm not planning to bred any of my replacers off these animals. Going to buy in all my replacers for the 1st 5 years of so and then start to bred my own stock.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,494 ✭✭✭✭ Green&Red

Hi,

the indexes\traits I'm picking are Fert index of the mother and the prot% of the calf
    and the current PR%

Fert Above €70
    last years PR% above 3.6

I don't look at the EBI value because I'm not planning to bred any of my replacers off these animals. Going to buy in all my replacers for the 1st 5 years of so and then start to bred my own stock.

It’ll depend on what sort of an animal you want. When I was buying yearlings, 15 months ago I was looking for protein % over 0.15, milk anything under -100, fat & protein 5kg. They say you should have maintenance roughly similar across the board.

As a herd my fat and protein (4.45 & 3.68 for April) are great, Aurivo gives the average milk price for the top 50 and my milk price is above that but I worry it’s at the expense of volume. Hopefully I’ll have a better idea in a couple of years, it’s hard to judge a herd of heifers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,351 ✭✭✭ jaymla627

Hi,

and the current PR%

Fert Above €70
    last years PR% above 3.6

Youll buy stock for a pittance next year with your pick of maiden heifers when lads realize how much they are actually in the s**t with glanbias peak supply management hold your powder dry and when buying look for farms co-op report for 2021 and if milk solids delivered is under 500kgs walk away

• Registered Users Posts: 638 ✭✭✭ badgerhowlin

Am i getting to hung up on the Fert number.

Most that im seen now are averaging between 35 to 60 with a few higher
    Every thing else is hitting the mark.
    milk KG 530+
    Liters 6000+

Advertisement