Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Private profiles - please note that profiles marked as private will soon be public. This will facilitate moderation so mods can view users' warning histories. All of your posts across the site will appear on your profile page (including PI, RI). Groups posts will remain private except to users who have access to the same Groups as you. Thread here
Some important site news, please read here. Thanks!

€10k budget - what to buy?

  • 26-05-2021 10:22pm
    #1
    Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭ coolbeans


    Just back in Ireland with a new job and need a motor. No trade in. I'll be doing about 700km per week and my budget is about €10k. Need dependability, comfort and must be hatch or estate minimum 2014. Like a few toys but my.budget is limited as I need to save for other things too. Any suggestions welcome. It'd be good if it didn't have intergalactic mileage. I don't want a Hyundai / Kia as I hate the looks and the interiors. Minimum 1.6 diesel. I'd love a Superb estate but they're not in budget.


Comments

  • Registered Users Posts: 50,125 ✭✭✭✭ bazz26


    Renault Megane estate:

    https://www.carsireland.ie/2830001


  • Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭ Murph85


    Leaf if you have home charge? Saves a fortune on fuel and maintenance


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭ ineedeuro


    Murph85 wrote: »
    Leaf if you have home charge? Saves a fortune on fuel and maintenance

    No chance it will have the range for the 700km per week, in the budget diesel would be best
    Plus the boot is tiny


  • Registered Users Posts: 24,683 ✭✭✭✭ punisher5112


    Octavia vRS


  • Posts: 0 ✭✭ [Deleted User]


    KIA C'eed or Pro C'eed


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭ coolbeans


    Don't think a vRS is in budget, can't find anything anyways. Electric is out of the question and as I said in the OP I don't want a Kia/Hyundai.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭ ineedeuro


    The Ford Mondeo is built for chewing up mileage at low cost. Estates around as well. Just a quick search and I found the below but if you have a look around might find better options
    https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/ford/mondeo/fpa/202104271870059?journey=Search

    Cheap to fix as well because so popular


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭ coolbeans


    ineedeuro wrote: »
    The Ford Mondeo is built for chewing up mileage at low cost. Estates around as well. Just a quick search and I found the below but if you have a look around might find better options
    https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/ford/mondeo/fpa/202104271870059?journey=Search

    Cheap to fix as well because so popular

    Thanks. Is there anything to look out for on the 2.0 version? I heard the auto box is a disaster on them. Any truth to this at all?


  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭ yoshiktk


    ineedeuro wrote: »
    The Ford Mondeo is built for chewing up mileage at low cost. Estates around as well. Just a quick search and I found the below but if you have a look around might find better options
    https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/ford/mondeo/fpa/202104271870059?journey=Search

    Cheap to fix as well because so popular

    If I may add 3 cents, try one and Passat as well. When I was looking for a car I did test both of them and Passat won by being, at least for me, better on road and comfortable inside. Both car were priced the same, similar spec.


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭ ineedeuro


    coolbeans wrote: »
    Thanks. Is there anything to look out for on the 2.0 version? I heard the auto box is a disaster on them. Any truth to this at all?

    Fly wheel? something about that in them
    I don't know to be honest but I am sure others do.

    Now remembering I think they have two auto's, the first was a disaster but the newer is better. Again someone on here will know. I think the problem with one of them was oil so you had to change the oil regular


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,507 ✭✭✭ Old diesel


    Pre 2015 Avensis Estate with the Toyota 2 litre diesel engine should meet most of your requirements.

    Theres an issue with cracking in the doors but ive yet to hear of anyone being charged money by Toyota to fix it.

    So its almost a non issue in the context of buying the car.

    Fine chariot for your needs otherwise - albeit Irish Toyotas can be mean on spec.

    Otherwise i totally agree with the Mondeo suggestion earlier


  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭ ineedeuro


    Old diesel wrote: »
    Pre 2015 Avensis Estate with the Toyota 2 litre diesel engine should meet most of your requirements.

    Theres an issue with cracking in the doors but ive yet to hear of anyone being charged money by Toyota to fix it.

    So its almost a non issue in the context of buying the car.

    Fine chariot for your needs otherwise - albeit Irish Toyotas can be mean on spec.

    Otherwise i totally agree with the Mondeo suggestion earlier

    Lucky to get seats in those Toyotas :P


  • Registered Users Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭ coolbeans


    Old diesel wrote: »
    Pre 2015 Avensis Estate with the Toyota 2 litre diesel engine should meet most of your requirements.

    Theres an issue with cracking in the doors but ive yet to hear of anyone being charged money by Toyota to fix it.

    So its almost a non issue in the context of buying the car.

    Fine chariot for your needs otherwise - albeit Irish Toyotas can be mean on spec.

    Otherwise i totally agree with the Mondeo suggestion earlier

    While I agree with you those Avensis are a hateful yoke to look at imo and the spec is very poor too. I think I'm coming wrong to a Superb, Mondeo, Octavia, Leon estate even a Yeti in a nice spec.


  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭ jimbobmalones




  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭ Zylias


    Recently was shopping in your price range, for an estate and managed to get a 13 A4 Avant with 98k miles full main dealer service history for under €10k but was a private sale.

    Your in between a rock and a hard place imo as you won't get much of a car for 10k from a dealer in terms of year and spec but if you see a car you like privately the folk here will be able to point you in the right direction.


  • Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭ photosmart


    Agreed re going private.


    I was recently offered 8k on a trade-in (just testing the market)
    and the same cars were on carzone (161 Leon Estate - same as previous poster recommended) for 12 - 13k. Similar cars on donedeal are in the region of 10k which my mean 9.5k ish if you make an offer



    So if you can get one with a fsh etc it may be worth going private. Even if you have to put aside 1k for potential issues you should be quids in.


  • Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭ Zylias


    photosmart wrote: »
    Agreed re going private.


    I was recently offered 8k on a trade-in (just testing the market)
    and the same cars were on carzone (161 Leon Estate - same as previous poster recommended) for 12 - 13k. Similar cars on donedeal are in the region of 10k which my mean 9.5k ish if you make an offer



    So if you can get one with a fsh etc it may be worth going private. Even if you have to put aside 1k for potential issues you should be quids in.

    I know someone who got 9k for a focus selling to trade but was offered 8k on Zucar


Advertisement