Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Vauxhall Insignia - low oil pressure

Options
  • 26-05-2021 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hey everyone,
    My Insignia has the low oil pressure warning when starting up the car. Seems like it's a common issue where the oil sump seal starts hardening during low temperatures.

I am essentially looking for where to get this fixed in the Cork area, does anyone have any recommendations? From what I have read this is quite a big job even though it's just a tiny seal.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Thou

Hey everyone,
    My Insignia has the low oil pressure warning when starting up the car. Seems like it's a common issue where the oil sump seal starts hardening during low temperatures.

I am essentially looking for where to get this fixed in the Cork area, does anyone have any recommendations? From what I have read this is quite a big job even though it's just a tiny seal.

Thanks.

Most good engine mechanics should know how to repair this Insignia fault.
    Although I'd say be prepared for the worst.
    Did the warning appear while the car was driving or did it come on just after starting?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 exposur3737

Thou wrote: »
    Most good engine mechanics should know how to repair this Insignia fault.
    Although I'd say be prepared for the worst.
    Did the warning appear while the car was driving or did it come on just after starting?

Only a single time on a cold morning when I started the car, otherwise it drives fine. Now I won’t be driving it until I can get It sorted of course, Heard- all sorts of horror stories.

I only bought this car 3 days ago…just my luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭sumo12

I only bought this car 3 days ago…just my luck.

Ouch. Hopefully the seller didn't know there was a big issue and said nothing.....

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

Had a similar issue and half the engine had to be taken out to fix it (part was just a cheap rubber seal but very awkward to get at)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 exposur3737

sumo12 wrote: »
    Ouch. Hopefully the seller didn't know there was a big issue and said nothing.....

Luckily I got a good deal on it (3700€ for a well specced 2014) model, so it leaves some room for repairs. But it seems like all the garages I call don't know about the issue. I have someone from Dublin now but not sure how to get the car to Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

This looks like what needs to be done. Seems the awkward part is getting access from beside the gearbox.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,592 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

OP it depends on if the gearbox has the cut out for the 2 hidden torx bolts on the sump.

Depending on the gearbox some do and some dont - usually autos have the cut out but not all manuals do.

If it has the cut outs its a lot cheaper - around 2 hours labour.

If it doesnt its around 8+ hours labour as you have to remove the gearbox and sump.

However in saying that Id be more concerned if the previous owner knew about further damage that had been done.

Just editing this - if you look at the video above the cut outs can be seen at around 2:20 onwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Padneen1959

Seemingly there's a company in clonmel that replace insignia sumps with the older vectra sump .Anyone got the address and telephone number. Insignia 2012 owner

• Registered Users Posts: 483 ✭✭FR85

Anyone getting this done, If your gearbox doesn't have the cut outs you maybe best off to do the clutch and flywheel along with timing belt and water pump while the engine and box are out for peace of mind and another 100k miles, depending of course it's they've not been done yet. Also, for the few quid do the oil pump as the two are connected and it's the real heart of the machine.

They're a bit of a hike from you but Saab Spares in Ballybofey Donegal are doing these all the time and would be able to set you straight as to what is involved.

I've heard garages/dealers especially have "never heard" of this problem which is complete and utter BS and if they claim this when you are buying they're dishonest and you should run away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

For anyone without the cutout for the hidden bolts you can drill the gearbox bell housing to access them making the job a lot simpler.

If you only get the message once then you'll more than likely be fine, however if it pops up during driving then I'm afraid it's a big job.

Keep an eye on the red oil warning light during start up, this should go out at exactly the same time as all other dash lights when started. If it remains lit even for a split second after starting then that's your 1st, and sometimes only warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Padneen1959

Thanks for the info on the guys in Donegal but a bit of a journey for me looking at the Dash in fear.

I rang John Kelly Opel Waterford and the guy I spoke to said didn't know about this issue and would talk to a colleague. After a few minutes came back and told me they didn't have a technician able to do this job.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭sligopaul

Advertisement