Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you use false details when looking for a quote?

Options
  • 24-05-2021 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭

It's renewal time and when I'm looking for quotes I always use a fake name and details. I probably check up to 10 different companies. If I used my real details I would be plagued with calls. Not just this year but next year too at renewal time.

I hope no one actually owns 0871234567 :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,387 ✭✭✭HBC08

Wheety wrote: »
    It's renewal time and when I'm looking for quotes I always use a fake name and details. I probably check up to 10 different companies. If I used my real details I would be plagued with calls. Not just this year but next year too at renewal time.

I hope no one actually owns 0871234567 :D

Some people are strange fish.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,480 ✭✭✭The Continental Op

I've done it but only like the OP when searching around for a quote, I also use a throw away email address. If necessary I have the Eircode of a house down the road that was demolished 2 years ago.

As soon as a company comes back with a quote I'm interested in then I use my real details.

Wake me up when it's all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

I've done it but only like the OP when searching around for a quote, I also use a throw away email address. If necessary I have the Eircode of a house down the road that was demolished 2 years ago.

As soon as a company comes back with a quote I'm interested in then I use my real details.

This is what I mean. It's just to find which insurance is the cheapest I can get for this year. Then I'd go back and use my real details.

Not sure what's strange about that ^

• Registered Users Posts: 25,474 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

I've been doing this for years, I just presumed everyone did it to avoid the annoying calls/texts/emails :D

I've been doing this for years, I just presumed everyone did it to avoid the annoying calls/texts/emails :D

Likewise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,387 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

There’s a good reason to use your actual details and it is that virtually all quotes come with a reference number which you can use to retrieve the quote later, if you want to take up the offer. Using fake data means you have to re-enter all of the data, this time the real stuff.

I use a yahoo.ie email address for quotes and I have a pay as you go mobile for emergencies which is switched off most of the time so I quote that number. Once I’m past my renewal date, it’s safe to switch it on again!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,223 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Chill will phone you within minutes if you use a real number and don't proceed, so I always use an obvious fake

• Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Odelay

I only use my real details and never have hassle from calls. Giving fake details seems like a very paranoid thing to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,387 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Odelay wrote: »
    I only use my real details and never have hassle from calls. Giving fake details seems like a very paranoid thing to do?

Not paranoid at all. You must not be getting quotes from the same people as the rest of us. Or you leave it to the last minute and go looking for a quote the day before renewal, in which case they probably know it's too late to call you.

If you get an online quote a week or so before your renewal, you're guaranteed to get calls. I was in the pub (God be with the days!) at 8 p.m. on a Friday evening when I got one of the calls. Was not at all pleased.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

L1011 wrote: »
    Chill will phone you within minutes if you use a real number and don't proceed, so I always use an obvious fake

It wasn't necessarily that company, but I'd filled in my real phone number, and hadn't hit submit/next - had wandered off leaving that screen open. Got a call within about 20 minutes. Was not impressed. Since then, I've started using a fake phone number. I leave the rest of the details "real" - I don't mind if they want to post me something, and emails can just be deleted.

I did once get an email saying "we tried calling you but couldn't reach you on that number...".

• Advertisement
Advertisement