Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Showboat Pub

Options
  • 23-05-2021 6:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭

Used to be a great spot back in my old student days for the oul snooker and a pint been closed a good few years now. Went past it the other day and its in a very sorry state. Such a shame to see it, I do know there was a fire there a few years ago not sure how much damage it caused but still.

Anybody have any idea whats happening with the place?

I heard the council were involved now and the owners are supposedly as elusive as big foot. Hard to see the place ever opening again

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭new92

anytime i'm headed down to the glen i wonder, is it going to be a sight for sore eyes, or a sore sight for eyes? it's usually the latter.

it was a great place. if i had the stuff and the brains i'd take a chance on it.

lots of untapped potential for the glen in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Miall108

new92 wrote: »
    anytime i'm headed down to the glen i wonder, is it going to be a sight for sore eyes, or a sore sight for eyes? it's usually the latter.

it was a great place. if i had the stuff and the brains i'd take a chance on it.

lots of untapped potential for the glen in general.

I saw the side gate to the snooker hall open a few weeks ago and a car parked in there up near the old glass door entrance whatever was going on. I highly doubt the snooker tables are still there anyway. Would love to see it open again so much potential as you say

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭dzilla

lovely pub with nice back function area and snooker hall. not a place I frequented religously but I alway enjoyed the place when I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭ArtVandelay76

Do the same people who bought the Mansion house own it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

many game of darts played in the showboat waterford city over the years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭south

Yes

Yes its a chinese consortium, they also bought the Grand Hotel in Tramore aswell and have let that fall to rack and ruin aswell like the Showboat, think the council are pursuing the top man Colm Wu for both the Grand and Showboat.

It saddens me everytime I pass the Showboat I wonder what will happen to the place, it also intrigues me as to whether the snooker and pool tables are still in the the snooker hall im sure they would be worthless by now though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

The charity I was involved in always had their table quizzes down there in the function room. Remember watching the 2007 Waterford Hurling match with Limerick there too. A shame that such a pub is boarded up but that's the tale of Waterford unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭bradolf pittler

Miall108 wrote: »
    Yes its a chinese consortium, they also bought the Grand Hotel in Tramore aswell and have let that fall to rack and ruin aswell like the Showboat, think the council are pursuing the top man Colm Wu for both the Grand and Showboat.

It saddens me everytime I pass the Showboat I wonder what will happen to the place, it also intrigues me as to whether the snooker and pool tables are still in the the snooker hall im sure they would be worthless by now though.

If the tables are still there they are probably beyond repair,Years of cold and damp would have warped the slates and rotted the wood.
    Was a great pub back in the day.Had a huge day trade something you dont see much of anymore

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,033 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Just to correct the record there, Colm Wu is no longer a director of that company, he left them in 2019 and he has no involvement in the Mansion house. He does however still own the Grand Hotel in Tramore and the Showboat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Flow Motion

The charity I was involved in always had their table quizzes down there in the function room. Remember watching the 2007 Waterford Hurling match with Limerick there too. A shame that such a pub is boarded up but that's the tale of Waterford unfortunately.

Agreed tis a shame really. Seems Waterford pressed pause button with the last recession & the closing of the Glass circa. 2008. We have never really recovered. Dunno whether its a case of bad luck, feeling sorry for ourselves or not making the right choices (or a combination of all three). Apart from the Greenway & Viking Triangle the place has stagnated. Lots of popular shops & pubs have closed down in the past decade or so. On the flip side loads of coffee shops have opened and now pepper the town. Must be a good profit to be made in that business with low overheads to boot.
    Meanwhile back on topic wasnt a regular visitor to The Showboat but it was a good place for a frame of snooker, to match a match or a quick pint before a gig in The Forum (which is coincidentally another great place sadly defunct)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭Gardner

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Just to correct the record there, Colm Wu is no longer a director of that company, he left them in 2019 and he has no involvement in the Mansion house. He does however still own the Grand Hotel in Tramore and the Showboat

who owns the mansion so?

Gardner wrote: »
    who owns the mansion so?

The chinese consortium it was being run by some chinese fella called Tony whos based in Carlow I think he doesnt be around as much anymore

Advertisement