Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ADAC European Breakdown and alternatives ?

Options
  • 23-05-2021 5:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭

I have taken out the breakdown cover from ADAC over the last 10 years or so I have only had to contacted them once and was very impressed with the service I received.

In the last years I have read conflicting reports of the service now available to adac costumers not living in Germany was wondering if anyone has used the service in the recent past ...if so how did you get on ?
    I have a D/D set up with them and they continue to take the payment for a breakdown plus policy ,
    Was also wondering what alternative is out there with similar cover given the very limited cover that comes with the insurance and 3ton limit with the AA

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Moomat

What's the difference with insurance breakdown?

I'm with Stuarts and had a breakdown in France (starter fell out - long story) and the recovery truck was there in less than an hour. My van is 6.5 tonne and I reckon his truck could've taken it if required.

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Morgan The Moon

I have taken out the breakdown cover from ADAC over the last 10 years or so I have only had to contacted them once and was very impressed with the service I received.

In the last years I have read conflicting reports of the service now available to adac costumers not living in Germany was wondering if anyone has used the service in the recent past ...if so how did you get on ?
    I have a D/D set up with them and they continue to take the payment for a breakdown plus policy ,
    Was also wondering what alternative is out there with similar cover given the very limited cover that comes with the insurance and 3ton limit with the AA

Hi killalanerr, The cover that your Membership has is no longer available to New Applicants who are resident outside of Germany. Your Membership is still fully valid because you joined before the new restrictions where implemented and the cover is as described in the Membership section of the ADAC web site. The cover for Motorhomes is 7.5 tonnes the normal section 3 subsection 4 detail. Bigger Motorhomes are still covered but some restrictions and additional costs for recovery etc are levied.

Some forums in the UK are still to realise their "Brexit" has impacted them in ways they have never even given thought too.

If you want to cancel your membership you need to give them 3 mths notice in writing before the renewal date. That way they wont try and collect the dd for the next renewal yr.

The Motorcaravan Club Of Ireland have a new recovery scheme available to members. As far as I know it covers Motorhomes up to 4 tonnes in Ireland, UK and Europe.

Hope the above is of some use to you,

MTM.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,036 ✭✭✭niloc1951

I recently queried my cover with ADAC and they confirmed their ADAC Plus membership is still valid for non-Germany residents if the membership was taken out before the changed T's & C's.

Here is their reply
    The x's won't paste in correctly but from left to right they indicate Germany, Europe, Worldwide

Dear Mr. XXXXXX,
    Thank you for your message.
    We will continue your ADAC Plus membership partner unchanged.
    Also with residence in the European Union (EU) or in the European Economic Area (EEA)
    you can keep your ADAC Plus membership partner. The address registered in the membership is decisive for the billing of services. If your foreign place of residence is registered, the benefits will also be provided there.
    We would be happy to inform you about the benefits of your membership. Find on the following page
    An overview.
    If you have any questions, please contact us - we will be happy to advise you.
    Regards

Brief overview of the benefits of ADAC Plus membership
    For your records
    (Abbreviated representation - only the conditions of ADAC breakdown and accident assistance and ADAC Plus membership are decisive)
    Club services
    • Assistance: breakdown and accident assistance (including towing and rescue)
    • ADAC accident emergency number 24 (support in organizing the necessary relief measures)
    • ADAC emergency call (organization of relief measures after illness or injury)
    • Legal advice from ADAC contract lawyers or club lawyers
    • Technical advice (all about cars)
    • Traffic advice (including information on traffic safety, driving safety) Tourism advice (including individual maps for your trip: the ADAC TourSet)
    • Club magazine ADAC Motorwelt
    Plus Services
    Personal assistance Scope of the ADAC assistance
    Germany Europe Worldwide
    Patient repatriation (§ 24) x x x
    Visiting sick (§ 28) x x x
    Repatriation of children (§ 25) x x x
    Return of pets (§ 29) x x x
    Vehicle retrieval in the event of driver failure (Section 26) x x
    Help with language problems / interpreter service (§ 34) x x
    Dispatch of pharmaceuticals and glasses (Section 32) x x
    Extraordinary journey home (§ 30) x x x
    Accommodation costs due to an emergency (Section 27) x x x
    Help in the event of loss of travel documents (Section 33) x x
    Help in special emergencies (§ 31) x x x
    Credit and cash payments (§ 35) x

Vehicle-related assistance Scope of ADAC assistance
    Germany Europe Worldwide
    Vehicle transport (§ 20) x x
    Pick-up service (§ 21) x
    Accommodation costs after vehicle failure (§ 19) x x
    Travel costs after vehicle failure (§ 18)
    + ClubMobil x
    + Rental car / train / flight x x
    Breakdown or accident assistance (§ 13) x x
    Towing (§ 15) x x
    Rescue (§ 16) x x
    Help with lost or defective vehicle keys (§ 14) x x
    Dispatch of spare parts (§ 22) x
    Vehicle customs clearance and scrapping (§ 23) x
    Short trips after a vehicle failure (§ 17) x x
    Other important services
    Scope of the ADAC assistance
    Germany Europe Worldwide
    Accident legal assistance abroad x
    Immediate accident benefit x x x
    Foreign travel liability x x
    Travel contract legal protection x x x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

Thanks for the the detailed reply, I'm more than happy to continue with the my ADAC policy run if the info above is correct

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭JonMac

I've got it too. In case you don't know, the AA is pissy. Refused to rescue my 3.5 tonne until I asked to talk to a supervisor. That's why I changed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

JonMac wrote: »
    I've got it too. In case you don't know, the AA is pissy. Refused to rescue my 3.5 tonne until I asked to talk to a supervisor. That's why I changed.

Thanks Jonmac , yes I was aware of this it was one of the reasons I went looking of better cover all that time ago,another fyi Reparation Cover on most if not all breakdown cover built into your insurance policy is "€500 towards the cost of bringing your camper home for any one claim."
    Maximum pay out is no more than €1,500 per policy year.

Your not going to get very far on €500!

Advertisement