Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hive Advice - Immersion and Boiler control wiring?

Options
  • 23-05-2021 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭

Hi

I am looking for advice to see if my system is suitable for wiring in a Hive Heating and Hot water system?

As per enclosed pictures, Ive opened up my RWB7 panel but surprised at the lack of control wires to the boiler i.e. and on and off

Also my hot water tank is a dual immersion(sink/bath) type, presumably I have to keep a sink/bath switch but does this look to you as something straightforward for my Plumber to fit?

Im fairly handy with DIY but tend to leave electrics to a Spark and Plumbing to a plumber. If straightforward with your advice Id install myself!

https://ibb.co/Xz8gP4H

https://ibb.co/0ng7Bb6
    https://ibb.co/cFty6Wp
    https://ibb.co/513P60f

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

EDIT:
    Does your existing controller have a battery?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Registered Users Posts: 16,986 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

redman wrote:
    I am looking for advice to see if my system is suitable for wiring in a Hive Heating and Hot water system?

You seem to be looking to control your heating system and the electric immersion from the hive controller?

I don't believe the hive controller can do that. Happy to be corrected but I think the hive can only control the hot water heated by your gas/oil. To be able to do this you will need separate zones. You will need a motorised valve to control the gas heated hot water separately to the heating

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭redman

Wearb wrote: »
    EDIT:
    Does your existing controller have a battery?

yes it does, so when disconnected form back panel and plugged back in, it has retained the programming and time

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    You seem to be looking to control your heating system and the electric immersion from the hive controller?

I don't believe the hive controller can do that. Happy to be corrected but I think the hive can only control the hot water heated by your gas/oil. To be able to do this you will need separate zones. You will need a motorised valve to control the gas heated hot water separately to the heating

Ok interesting, I wasnt aware! thank you

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 6,251 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wearb

redman wrote: »
    yes it does, so when disconnected form back panel and plugged back in, it has retained the programming and time
    That wire that you show going to the boiler (your drawing) isnt visible on the programmer image.

It looks like that blue wire isn't a neutral and is the switched live for the boiler. Hive will need a neutral if fitted there.

There can be a work around to use hive to partially control immersion, using a contactor.

From your pics and drawings, you will need wiring and plumbing work done to make use of any smart heating controls.

Perhaps a couple of wifi switches like Sonoff would do in the interim?

Please follow site and charter rules. "Resistance is futile"

• Advertisement

Wearb wrote: »
    That wire that you show going to the boiler (your drawing) isnt visible on the programmer image.

It looks like that blue wire isn't a neutral and is the switched live for the boiler. Hive will need a neutral if fitted there.

Id enclosed wrong pic,(updated now) the earth wire goes to no 4. All three wires go to the boiler. So presume the earth is controlling?

Thanks for the WiFi tips too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

You will need a contactor fitted beside the immersion, either before the switch or on the link wire between the two sides of the switch. The Hive can control the contactor coil.

I have the same setup with hive in my house and it works really well, the only think i might consider is fitting a tank stat in series with the immersion coil, so when it reaches temperature (electrically or via the heating system) it will drop out the immersion.

Great, thank you!
    You will need a contactor fitted beside the immersion, either before the switch or on the link wire between the two sides of the switch. The Hive can control the contactor coil.

I have the same setup with hive in my house and it works really well, the only think i might consider is fitting a tank stat in series with the immersion coil, so when it reaches temperature (electrically or via the heating system) it will drop out the immersion.

Advertisement